A multi‐source seeder for digital releases

I just noticed today that not only do iTunes album URLs automatically redirect to the Apple Music web player, iTunes artist URLs do as well. @atj, I highly suggest you update your instance of a-tisket to generate the new URL format for both artists and releases.

For those who are concerned about indicating that a release is available in the iTunes Store in light of this change, I’ve introduced this:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up @HibiscusKazeneko. I’ll look into how best to handle this.

2 Likes

Can’t get past a 500 page error with this release:
https://atisket.pulsewidth.org.uk/?preferred_countries=US&spf_id=0Fn3ClzEUGH4ak4JB2Stq8&preferred_vendor=spf

2 Likes

When trying to submit an itunes id there’s no http error but I get no output.
Example: https://etc.marlonob.info/atisket/?preferred_countries=us&itu_id=579919658&preferred_vendor=itu

See some earlier posts in this thread. We suspect the IP address tied to @marlonob’s instance of a-tisket has been blacklisted from querying the iTunes API.
You’re best off using @atj’s instance instead.

1 Like

Well done @Chilkara, you broke it! I’ll see if I can work out what’s going on…

Edit This is fixed now. iTunes was causing the error due to the the API response containing 2 music videos, which broke some assumptions about the ordering of items in the response. I believe this will also fix an issue reported by @Fabe56 over a year ago! :laughing:

9 Likes

For the moment at least, it appears that Apple is finally adding UPCs in the “view source”.
Right click on the iTunes/Apple Music page and click on view source and search for “UPC”. Also, you can find the label there as well by searching on “recordlabel”.

7 Likes

:+1: ISRCs too, I’m not sure if they were there before.

5 Likes

ISRC codes definitely were not there before.

I whipped up a quick tool to get this extended info from Apple Music pages. It adds a green square to the upper-left corner that opens a window with the info when you click it.

https://github.com/ToadKing/apple-music-barcode-isrc/raw/master/apple-music-barcode-isrc.user.js

5 Likes

Please remember that before we rely on the “label” that a-tisket returns to look at the release itself or in the copyright box for anything that says “A [label name] release” or “[label name]” listed before the P or C date; Please use this before the name given by a-tisket. Examples: “FP; © 2020 UMG Recordings, Inc.”, label is listed as “UMG Recordings, Inc.”, but the label we want to use is actually FP. Other common mistake is " Universal-Island Records Ltd.", if you look at the release you’ll see “An Island Records release”. So the imprint is Island, not Universal-Island Records, Ltd. (which is a company name). I guess what I’m saying is, that if you see something that looks like a company name, don’t forget to look to see if an imprint is actually listed instead.

5 Likes

Hello atisket,
I don’t understand multiple identical digital releases, etc.
But how do we fix an imported digital release with 182 × wrong 1977 release dates? :sweat_smile:

Update

I did it like this:

var d = document.querySelectorAll("input[type='text'][class^='partial-date-']");
for (var i = 0; i < d.length; i++) {
	d[i].value = "";
	d[i].dispatchEvent(new Event("change"));
}
3 Likes

I don’t think you can create private repo in free GitHub.
I was able to create a private repo in gitlab.com.

If you’re using GitHub Free, you can add unlimited collaborators on public and private repositories.

On another note, I’ll be developing a TIDAL/Spotify track-credit (producers, writers, instruments, etc) import tool in a few weeks as part of a school project. I may be able to help implement TIDAL API into a-tisket after I’ve gotten some experience with it.

3 Likes

A while ago I have created a bookmarklet to change the dates for all release events of a release at once:

6 Likes

I was about to post this and give you credit. It’s an awesome bookmarklet and has saved me a lot of time as of late.

If you can get a way to access Tidal’s info publically, that’d be awesome! And yes, if there was a way to import relationship credits, Wow!

1 Like

I’m wary of using track credits from digital releases. I’ve seen a lot of questionable ones, like 1) big name producers on tracks that were originally self-released 2) lyricists on instrumentals and 3) backing vocalists who have a suspiciously similar name to the lead singer but are considered a separate person.

3 Likes

https://jaxsta.com/

I’d double check with this site. They give the actual labels themselves as the source for data and many releases even have barcodes (not all, and don’t trust the links to the digital media sites there at all) & cat #. Many of these releases that aren’t available in countries, i.e. “countries excluded” by the 3 digital sites given by a-tisket, are actually on the list of available countries there. Not sure if there is a way to import the data there as an add-on to a-tisket, but I would check the “excluded list” to see if we can clear out what is excluded to make some of these releases Worldwide, because the label says they are released there, but they must be just on another service than the big 3.

1 Like

As with all digital release names and values, it depends on:

1. What did the artist tell their label
  2. What did the label tell their distributor
  3. What did the distributor tell the digital store / platform

I usually see blank fields rather than incorrect values in what I work with.

This may be intentional if the track is actually supposed to be a karaoke track. In Japan, karaoke tracks are often called “instrumental”. MusicBrainz intends to put lyricist values on karaoke tracks.

2 Likes

The example I’m thinking of (See It Like Sutherland [1, 2, 3]) isn’t a karaoke track, it’s just the label being sloppy and referring to the band members as both composer and lyricist when writer would be more appropriate if they’re not sure who did what.

1 Like