A multi‐source seeder for digital releases

After a release has been added to MB, just use a-tisket to search for its UPC or Deezer/iTunes/Spotify link. It will give you a hint that the release already exists and provide a link to the complementary links page:

5 Likes

If there are no disallowed countries than it is Worldwide. However, there are more than 216 “countries”. Remember, places like Guam, US Virgin Islands, American Somoa, etc. are recognized as different countries. Same goes with many other areas that are technically part of a larger country. This is why you get more than the 195 nations. However, if a release is every country, except the US (of which there are many by Rhino compilations), how can you say it technically is worldwide, if it’s not even in the US? You can say it’s Worldwide, but if someone wants to add all separately, there is nothing wrong with that. Now if there are truly no restrictions, than yes, it’s Worldwide.

4 Likes

Bandcamp, Beatport, etc. are not worldwide. Bandcamp now has label restrictions as well as the others.

From what I remember from the thread talking about this, these restrictions are optional (i.e. they must be implemented by the artist or label). Unless there’s another angle to this I don’t know about, e.g. if Bandcamp is not available in say, China…

I’m still researching this stuff… But I checked MusicBrainz’s own database…
There are 257 rows in the musicbrainz_db.country_area table…
And 258 rows in the musicbrainz_db.iso_3166_1 table…

249 of those are the countries listed in ISO 3166-1:2013
3 of those are the special purpose areas “XE: Europe”, “XK: Kosovo”, and “XW: [Worldwide]
6 of those areas are these countries:

end_date_year |         name
 ---------------+-----------------------
           2010 | Netherlands Antilles
           2003 | Yugoslavia
           2006 | Serbia and Montenegro
           1991 | Soviet Union
           1990 | East Germany
           1992 | Czechoslovakia
 (6 rows)

I haven’t looked at what Spotify thinks about geography yet… I’ve mostly been seeing lists with only 216 countries… and I don’t know if that’s just all that Spotify has, or if the other 33 countries are where Spotify is never available.

Also, “XK: Kosovo” is the one row missing between 'musicbrainz_db.iso_3166_1` and ‘musicbrainz_db.country_area’, I don’t know what’s up with that.

2 Likes

I’m going to use https://musicbrainz.org/release/b07273cc-8e61-4180-81d1-c57f9723427d as an example, because it has 222 releases (although the MusicBrainz UI shows 3 and hides “218” more under a link, that only adds up to 221. I think it may be a MusicBrainz UI bug.)

So… I want to know: Where is this release NOT available. There’s 27 additional countries in ISO 3166-1:2013

>                      name                     | code
> ----------------------------------------------+------
>  Aruba                                        | AW
>  Faroe Islands                                | FO
>  French Guiana                                | GF
>  French Polynesia                             | PF
>  French Southern Territories                  | TF
>  Gibraltar                                    | GI
>  Greenland                                    | GL
>  Guadeloupe                                   | GP
>  Guyana                                       | GY
>  Haiti                                        | HT
>  Martinique                                   | MQ
>  Mayotte                                      | YT
>  New Caledonia                                | NC
>  Puerto Rico                                  | PR
>  Réunion                                      | RE
>  San Marino                                   | SM
>  Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha | SH
>  Saint Pierre and Miquelon                    | PM
>  Suriname                                     | SR
>  Vatican City                                 | VA
>  Wallis and Futuna                            | WF
>  [Worldwide]                                  | XW
>  Europe                                       | XE
>  Åland Islands                                | AX
>  Guernsey                                     | GG
>  Isle of Man                                  | IM
>  Jersey                                       | JE
>  Saint Barthélemy                             | BL
>  Saint Martin (French part)                   | MF
>  Kosovo                                       | XK
> (30 rows)

Well… Isle of Man only has 25 releases total in all of MusicBrainz… I’m guessing that Spotify doesn’t even recognize it…

Jersey only has 13 releases total in MusicBrainz…

Vatican City only has one release! I don’t think that this is because of regional licensing by record labels…

I don’t think Spotify considers Puerto Rico to be a separate licensing area from the United States…

Oh, I just looked up that singular release at the Vatican… https://musicbrainz.org/edit/65051708 That data came from Deezer

Anyway, I don’t think these countries are explicitly licensed such that these releases are explicitly not available… They’re just not explicitly included in the lists being returned by Spotify and Deezer… because they’re effectively worldwide, but Deezer doesn’t include or exclude the US Territories or the United Kingdom Overseas Territories… or the French département et régions d’outre-mer… at all

2 Likes

This release actually should be Worldwide. The only place disallowed according to Deezer is AN, which is no longer a country.
view-source:https://www.deezer.com/us/album/119032232

So, I would mark this one Worldwide. But, I’m not going to go undue something someone else edited if it’s technically correct.

1 Like

The bug has already been fixed and is in beta testing now. The next release will be on Monday.
When you view your example release on https://beta.musicbrainz.org/release/b07273cc-8e61-4180-81d1-c57f9723427d it already displays (show 219 more).

3 Likes

Now that I’ve used this for a bit, here are some major UI Improvements which I would like:

1. At the bottom of the “Complementary Links” page, where it says “Artist relationships”, and there’s a list of whichever artists were on this release, in a tiny font… and next to the tiny print, are a set of even smaller icons for Apple Music, Spotify, and Deezer. Moving the mouse pointer, precisely onto one, and then right-clicking, and selecting ‘copy link’, takes a lot of time an fine manual dexterity.
    Presenting those links in a larger, easier to select size, will make it much easier to cut and paste the fields into the MB Artist editor form.
    1b. If it would be possible to just directly open up the edit page, and have the three URLs already filled in, so that the editor just has to read/verify/comment and click “Enter edit”, that would be ideal.
    1c. The tiny pen icon next to the artist name isn’t that obvious for going to the artist’s edit form.
  2. When you do “Search again” after a previous search, it has cleared the Deezer, Spotify, and iTunes ID numbers, but the UPC field hasn’t been cleared, so the user needs to clear it manually before searching again.
  3. Actually everything in the UI is very small and hard to read, and you need to find very small icons to click on to do most tasks. And, it’s difficult to select things, if you just want to cut and paste them.
  4. Additional services to query: Discogs, Google Play, Amazon, PsyShop, Beatport, Juno Download, Soundcloud, um… Beatspace… TraxxSource… Qobuz… there’s a few more… Bandcamp doesn’t really do queries by EAN/UPC… and neither do some of these others… but even just a link to the search page with the artist name and track/album title pre-filled in would save a lot of time. (Amazon does search by UPC I know. And Discogs too, if anyone has actually put the EAN/UPC into discogs for the thing.)
    You can pull the search terms (artist names, catalog numbers, ISRCs, etc.) out from the results from other services, which were queried by EAN/UPC.
2 Likes

Not sure this has been reported, but the logo for this script/page doesn’t load for me. Here is what Brave/Chromium reports:
This page contains the following errors: error on line 5 at column 67: xmlns:ns: '&ns_sfw;' is not a valid URI Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

4 Likes

Something I’ve noticed: If a release is only available for streaming on Apple Music (as opposed to purchase in the iTunes Store), querying it via the seeder (via the iTunes API) will return a release with no tracklist. @marlonob, are there any plans to add Apple Music support in the future?

1 Like

The logo doesn’t work in Safari 13.1, I get this error:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 5 at column 67: xmlns:ns: '&ns_sfw;' is not a valid URI

I get the same error for the favicon as well:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 5 at column 59: xmlns:ns: '&ns_sfw;' is not a valid URI

Also, as other people have mentioned, the image in the upper left corner of the page doesn’t load.

So, thinking about #2 above, clearing the fields automatically may not actually be a good idea after all, because on quite a few occasions I’ve needed to re-run the exact same query as before… but several minutes later after I’ve added a release on MusicBrainz to get the new MB release to show up on the page… because…

1. The page of “Complementary links”, doesn’t have a link appear unless there is already a release in MusicBrainz with the same UPC/EAN.

So, most of the time, there’s already a release in MB, but without a UPC… so I look it up manually on MB, and then I use A-Tisket to lookup the Spotify/Deezer/etc. links and UPC… and then I cut and paste those into the existing digital release. (Usually it’s from Bandcamp)

But the link to the page of “Complementary links” doesn’t appear until after there’s something in MB already with a matching UPC, so I need to “Search again” for the exact same thing, again. And then I can get to that page…

1. On the complementary links page, If the release album artist is “Various Artists” the edit icon goes to the edit page for that special artist… which most editors can’t edit.

As a general UI workflow note, with Chrome on OSX, if I have A-Tasket’s Complementary links page open in one window, and the MB Artist edit form open in another window. I can drag and drop the links from the tiny icons on one window, into the URL fields of the other window. It requires much less dexterity than right-clicking on everything and selecting things while trying not to click them, etc. etc.

Is the code available via Git yet? I’d love to take a look and help out, maybe host another version if your Spotify API key is getting too much use. I’d love to contribute to this project as well. Thanks

7 Likes

Unfortunately the detection of missing artist relationships on the complementary links page has stopped working correctly. It has started to suggest links for all(?) involved artists, regardless whether they are already linked on MB or not.
Can you please fix this @marlonob? An alternative would be to provide the current version of your source code (ideally via Git), because I guess there are a lot of people who love your tool and would like to help improving it. Thank you.

3 Likes

Maybe a bug in relation with recent change made by Apple (iTunes change alert).

No results could be retrieved for this 3 iTunes id:

1 Like

I think that bug may have something to do with the release being an Apple Digital Master. I tried looking up this ID via the seeder, but it didn’t work:

The link, if you open it, shows a release, and the “Also available in the iTunes Store” link works, but running it through the seeder doesn’t.
Fortunately I had already imported a UPC for that release, and I was able to get results by feeding that into the seeder. So if you run into this issue again, you could try searching using the UPC, if you or someone else has already managed to extract it.

1 Like

Anyone have the code that was posted? It seems this link is broken. I’m interested in hosting it on github.

6 Likes

I found a couple of streaming services we could potentially add support for:
http://music.migu.cn/
https://y.qq.com/

1 Like

Spotify has updated their country list again.

If editors have noticed the past couple of days of a blank country being added by the seeder, that is Kosovo. Which isn’t on the country availability pull down list on MB. That needs to be added. I reopened (https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/AREQ-269), but I’m not sure if area request is where this change comes from as that is typically just places for relationships.

3 Likes