Would you like to test-drive our first recommendations feature?

I haven’t been listening to the troibot recommendations, but I have been checking out what’s recommended on occasion. I’ve also noticed a leaning to more classic/popular rock in my recommendations, and while I do listen to classic/popular rock on occasion, it’s definitely not the bulk of my listening habit.

looking specifically at today’s recommendations, I’ve got

• 9 Christmas songs out of season
  • 11 classic rock, which I don’t listen to much
  • 7 tracks from my top 10 artists last year or this year (none of the newcomers to my top 10, I will note)
  • 2 anime tracks (plus 2 other Japanese tracks)
  • 2 mashups (which I listen to a lot more than classic rock, as my top two artists last year can attest to)
  • 0 hardcore techno (or adjacent genres, which I’ve been getting into slowly over that past few months)
  • 6 Brony tracks, which scans, as I’ve been getting back into the music of the fandom
  • 2 folk tracks, which I feel I listen to about as much as classic rock
  • 8 miscellaneous EDM/electronic tracks, which I’m also more into than classic rock
  • 4 tracks from the LB top 10 artists of all time, of this year, and of last year (all 4 are on the all-time chart)
  • surprisingly, no tracks from my sleep playlist mix which I just started in the last month or so (granted, I’ve got it set up so it plays the least-recently listened to tracks, just so my top artists aren’t just the ones I listen to while I fall asleep, lol)

all in all, not bad recommendations though… apart from underrepresenting some things I listen to, over representing classic rock, and being 1/5 Christmas music, I’d quite possibly listen to it

they’re number one of all time by a fair bit, and the only artist over a million listens (they beat The Beatles by about 70,000). it does seem like it could be representative of the western music nerd world though, as until just recently they also had the top album on RYM

Taking a leaf out of Spotify’s book would solve some of these problems. When someone skips a single track in one of these playlists, or it only has a partial play, that’s a super big data point. We know there’s no need to keep recommending it, or we can put a ‘pause’ on it. We can also eventually expand this to genres.

I know that you already know this @rob, and I also know we’re not at that stage yet. Just musing!

Christmas music is an interesting situation hah. Once we start pulling genre that might need it’s own line of code, I imagine!

1 Like

I gave it a try. I’d say 99% of my listening is KPop, now and then I’ll listen to some other music. Looks like all but 1 track on the list is KPop. I should have history for every group on the list, but I think a fair amount are tracks I haven’t listened to, or haven’t listened to much. And only the first track was a christmas song for me, though in it’s defense I have a few KPop christmas tracks on my regular playlists I listen to all year, so I’m fine with that.

I will start tagging Christmas music that I know of with the Christmas music genre to help with either filtering it, or providing seasonal lists in the future.

Overall looks like a decent list for my tastes!

Edit:
I have listened to the playlist. It did too good of a job for me. 17 new to me songs that I enjoy(plus a few I already had in my lists). My aim this year is 2 new to me songs a day… so I am gonna have to only check the list every other week at best!

2 Likes

Maybe this way you will miss interesting entries in your jam lists since troi-bot is good for a surprise sometimes.
For instance at the 27th od March 2023 there was something like a quantum leap in my list. I got the very first entry of baroque music this day. (The artist is Johann Sebastian Bach??? I will never understand the custom to delineate the composer as the artist when dealing with “old” music. Nobody is able to listen to Johann Sebastian Bach today since he is dead for more than 250 years now and there doesn’t exist a recording of his performances.)
This entry holds a lot of promise to expect a much broader scope of music in these recommendations and I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Yes, please do that. Please use the following tag:

christmas music - Genre information - MusicBrainz

Then we can add a tag filter to our recommendations so that xmas music doesn’t make it into normal recommendation playlists.

5 Likes

does it matter if we tag this genre on the recording, release, or release group?

I also wonder if we should perhaps ignore this tag on artists, as there’s a ton of artists known for their Christmas music (Michael Bublé, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Manheim Steamroller, etc.), but they also make non-Christmas music.

in fact, I just looked at the tag, and I know all the top 10 tagged artists save for Burl Ives are also popular (or perhaps more popular) for their non-Christmas music, Elvis Presley, Mariah Carey, Destiny’s Child, James Brown, TSO, etc.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Thinking about Queen’s Thank God It’s Christmas it would be wrong to tag a whole release as christmas music since this would be the only recording on it to be tagged correctly.

From my point of view this is a must. Bing Crosby is famous for his christmas music but there is so much more from him which has nothing to do with this tag.
Wouldn’t it be a shame to get those artists filtered out around the year and only during the christmas season they come up?

Filtering because of tags seems to be something like opening Pandora’s box. :thinking:

Yes.

The tags should always be applied to the most concise entity the can be applied to. Spelling this out:

• If an artists releases nothing but xmas music and NEVER has anything non-xmas, then tag the artist as “christmas music”. I’d expect this to happen rarely, if ever.
  • If an artist releases a release that is all xmas music and all other releases in the release group all contains xmas music, tag the release group.
  • Not sure if it ever makes sense to tag a release as xmas music, but I suppose it could.
  • If a release contains one or more xmas recordings, tag the individual recordings as xmas music, but not the release(-group).

I hope that makes sense!

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, tags/genres are still folksonomy and you can tag whatever you want :slight_smile: The above are suggestions, not guidelines. They might be good for LB to operate properly though, so if you’re happy with them you might as well follow them and help LB.

3 Likes

I figured, I just wanted to make sure ListenBrainz would be able to handle any kind of tags I throw at it :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hello. It appears that the “export to spotify” feature of the Daily Jams stopped working for me. If I hit the button I get an “Type Error i.json is not a function” message. I am on Firefox 113.0.2

1 Like

Confirmed, I opened a ticket for this issue:

[LB-1295] Export playlist to spotify is broken - MetaBrainz JIRA

We’ll see about getting this fixed ASAP. (its a feature I use a lot right now!)

4 Likes

Excellent. Thanks for the swift answer!

It turns out the playlist was saved to Spotify, but the error message is wrong. We’ll fix the message soon!

3 Likes

Why! So it is. I have five instances of the same playlist in my spotify account :smile:

That’ll teach me to check those things in the future.

2 Likes

Hello,
I followed troibot but no daily playlist has been generated.

1 Like

What is your username? I can check to see what might be going on.

Ah, I see. It matches your nickname here. Easy. :slight_smile:

Right now the underlying recommendations only get generated each monday morning and then daily-jams are generated. So, you should have one monday morning – if that is not the case, ping me again, ok?

We’ll add documentation about all of this before we officially release our recommendations features – daily jams are mostly for debugging.

3 Likes

Got it!
Thanks for the reply🤝

1 Like