Work's composition year

Using a direct SQL query of the musicbrainz DB, how might one discover the year a given work was composed? I’ve been unsuccessful despite trying a variety of table joins. Using Piston’s “Capriccio for Harp and String Orchestra” as a test case, the MB web service (URL below) shows that this work was composed in 1963, but I’ve been unable to determine the source of that particular piece of data.

2 Likes

It’s stored as the date on the relationship between the composer and the work (so, the “link” table, which you need to reach via “l_artist_work”)

6 Likes

Excellent, thanks very much!

1 Like

so, in a sort of crossover to picard scripting and such. how would one go about fetching the work’s “l_artist_work”'s date and apply it down the recording->track->file.tld line to ultimately tag a file with “original composed in year” in the “date” tag field?

is this even possible?

1 Like

Not with the builtin fields, but I’d imagine that would be a on the simpler end of plugin writing. Sounds a bit like that one for the first date on a recording if you want some code to jump off from, but it doesn’t look like anyone has done anything with that plugin since the last time I checked, when it was breaking on standalone recordings, so don’t copy it blindly.

1 Like

Should be quite simple to include in my Classical Extras plugin - I’ll look into it.

2 Likes

Of course, nothing’s ever really simple! Where a work is part of another work, both can have dates composed which may not be the same (but hopefully not conflicting). For example, one could be just a year, whereas another could be more specific, or a range. So the question is what date to show?

1 Like

And don’t forget recordings with multiple works, either! :wink: