Work-Artist relationship: Credit group vs band members as writer/composer/lyricist

I think we should generally not add composer/lyricist credits etc. according to info from rights societies.
I agree with Jesus that if something is differently credited on the release it’s probably artist intent.
Not sure about the other databases but at least GEMA occasionally has e.g. remixers credited as composers but the fact that they receive royalties for their contribution doesn’t make them composers in MB terminology.
After all, we want to record information about authorship and not about who’s getting paid.

And whatever the outcome in this discussion will be, it should be added to the guidelines or we’ll keep having a mix of the 2 approaches.

1 Like

But my concern with “artist intent” is the fact that it is the entertainment business. There are a lot of “characters” being played by “actors”. A lot of “press releases” that look like reviews and rumours and biographies. I’ve been an insider too long to believe the things I read.

Alice Cooper is always a good example - because he doesn’t exist, and at the same time it exists in 2 forms.
If a song says written by Alice Cooper, are they referring to the character played by Vincent Furnier, or are they talking about the entire group of guys?
*For this conversation, I am ignoring the 3rd option.

And, for the record, I will always “follow the rules” of the site. The site just needs to decide if it wants to be a fact-based database of musical information, or if it wants to be an advertising arm of the entertainment industry.
I am fine with artist intent for spelling (ca$h //\0n3y should be listed as cash money, because that is the intent of the words they stylized) and other things of the sort. But when it comes down to who wrote or performed on a song - why would we bother saying John Smith wrote a song when he didn’t?

Let’s take an example and tell me how you manage:
When a booklet says that FACE TO FACE was written by LUNA SEA (a band).
Stating that 5 members wrote lyrics and 5 members wrote music (splitting credits to members) is not a fact, it’s plain wrong for sure.

1 Like

If all you know is that Luna Sea wrote it. You put Luna Sea.
But when it is easily accessible to see that 5 people wrote the song, you write the five people.

Will this ever happen in reality?
And if it does happen, which is IMO highly unlikely, will you know? How?
I think this topic elaborates around something that is very rare in fact, or even that never occurs (that both all members participate and that we can know it for sure).

1 Like

Of course, when more specific confirmed information is available (e.g. from an artists website, other releases, interviews, fan sites, …) we should use it.
But in Jesus’ example: even if all 5 members of Luna Sea receive royalties for the song this does not necessarily mean that they all contributed to the writing.
It’s just not the same kind of information (even though it correlates in most cases). And I don’t see how assuming a 1:1 correlation helps to improve data quality compared to having credits as available from official sources.

BTW, “characters” whose names might stand for a person or a band (Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, Mortiis, ASP, …) are a different story. The challenge is to find out who is meant if the “character” is credited for something.
Even if according to BMI all members of the Alice Cooper band receive royalties for “Poison” this does not necessarily mean that McCurry and Child contributed to the lyrics.

1 Like

Then don’t put that the five individual names wrote lyrics and wrote music.
Just say that they were writers.

Think about it. You are, in fact, crediting all five guys with writing the song by listing the band name. So, how is that any different than listing them individually if you have a list of their names somewhere?
And, as someone previously mentioned, by listing the band name, the question becomes “when a band’s personnel changes, which members of the band wrote it if you are simply crediting the band as the writers”

Plus, let’s face it. Liner notes can say that the band wrote it. But if a royalty site says that only 4 wrote it, then you known darn well that the 5th guy didn’t participate.

1 Like

No you’re not—you’re crediting the organization. That’s different.

With a small band, it’s often the same thing, but not always. But think of larger “bands”: not every member of an orchestra, choir, etc. may play on every track credited to the orchestra (choir, etc.).

Take for example https://musicbrainz.org/release/d9e473ff-8889-470c-929d-cb598927e784 where the choir and orchestra is probably over 100 musicians; and yet on most of those tracks entire sections of the orchestra are absent. But saying the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra played on them is still correct. If you actually knew which particular members of the choir and orchestra performed on each track, it’d be correct to credit them too. Those are clearly different both are/would be correct. Listing all 100+ musicians on each track would be a very different claim and is incorrect.

5 Likes

Additionally to the problem where they expand band to members for their own specific purpose, royalty databases will also replace actual writers by PD/DP public domain once the work royalties expire.
They would also credit real names instead of pen-names sometimes.