Why can't I use aliases of author names?

Hi, I’m new here. Today, I added an information about a book “Баллада солдат” (Ballada soldat) of Oleg Ladyzhenskiĭ and after that I wanted to add “Балада солдатiв” (Balada soldativ). This is the same book, but first is written in Russian and second one is written in Ukrainian. I don’t sure, which one of them is a translation, because the author is a native speaker for both of them. So I wanted to add them like different books with his Russian name for the Russian version of the book and his Ukrainian name for the second one. And I haven’t found the way to do this. I added a Ukrainian alias, but the search engine in the field author doesn’t see it.

So I think I have 2 options now, but both of them look strange for me:

1. I can add him as a different new author and maybe to add some relationship, but it’s strange because then there’s no any sense in the aliases.
  2. Or I can add his Russian name to Ukrainian version. This is more similar to what I need to do, but also looks strange. Just because it’s uncomfortable and counterintuitive. In the field “Author” is written “Name of the author as he appears on the book cover”. And I agree with this. If some book is written in one language, I need to add names of the authors on the same language. I may not know his original name also. And there’s no any sense in the aliases, if they aren’t used, again.

What should I do? And why aliases of author name can not have the field “Disambiguation”?

1 Like

Wellcome, @Libra.

I’m not 100% sure of what your question is, but maybe I can help.

First of all, the Russian and Ukrainian versions are different works that you should be create separately. The Ukrainian version should have a Ukrainian title, the Russsian version a Russian title. You can connect them with “translation of” relationship, but as you’re not sure, you can just add the works.

The title of the edition should be whatever it says on cover, probably this will also be Russian for the Russian book, Ukrainian for the Ukranian book. Then you can add the work to the corresponding edition.

The author’s main name should be his native name. When you create the edition you pick the author credit,which will show his main name for the author credit, but you can click on “Edit” to type the name as it appears in the book.

Thank you. You understood me correctly. I have found, where I can do this. But I really think, that this implementation is too strange. What is should be “his native name”, when someone is bilingual? What if I don’t know the original name of the author and he doesn’t have a Wikipedia page, where I can check it? Or if I don’t understand the script of his native language? Then I can’t add him to BB?

How are aliases of author name are stored in DB? And why they differ from field “Author as credited”? (when I fill this field, it does not add new alias name automaticaly)

Bilingual just means they speak more than one language, but generally they have one official, native name. Of course, in rare cases, it may be difficult to pick one main name, you’ll just have to chose what you think is best based on the information you have. If it is a very unique case, you can also discuss in the forum.

If an author exists, you can add him. You should try to do some research, and find out. If you can’t find out, because it’s a very obscure author, just write the way you know and leave an annotation. Just explain in the annotation you couldn’tr find the original name. Hopefully another user will know and be able to correct it. Nobody knows everything, you just have to enter the information you know. Whatever you add to BB isn’t set in stone, it can always be improved later.

I don’t know about the technical side, but the “author credited” field is related to the edition, it doesn’t affect the artist entity. You can (and probably should) add all these aliases to the artist, to make him easier to find. I’m not sure it should be added automatically, or any small mistake here would create an alias. Also, there small variants that don’t have to be added as aliases, but I can’t think of any example at the moment.

1 Like