When is a classical album, a compilation?

So, this might be a rabbit hole… but when is a classical release (group) considered a compilation?

For eg. I have a release of the Brandenburg Concertos which also has Violin Concertos on; all by Bach.

All the recordings are by the same orchestra (though soloists appear only on the Violin Concertos).

This is marked as being a compilation. To me this is wrong - a compilation would have tracks (probably movements rather than full works) performed by vastly different groups and usually multiple composers; but is there some definitive guidance as to when a classical release group should be marked as a compilation?

If the recordings haven’t been released before or an entire release has been re-released, then it’s not a compilation. If the recordings have been collected from various old sources, then it is a compilation. More info here. Does that help to answer your question?

1 Like

It makes sense in terms of non-classical releases. I just don’t think it (what it says in the style guide) makes sense in terms of classical releases: IMO virtually all classical releases fit the criteria to be called “compilations” (at least how I see classical ‘compilations’).

Anyhow I think I’ve worked around the problem now :slight_smile: so no big dilemma.

1 Like

The point of a compilation is “are these recordings compiled from elsewhere”. That applies to classical as well as to popular. A lot of releases are not compilations, even if the composers or performers vary (a recital by a pianist of the music of several composers, or new recordings by different ensembles of “the chamber music of X”). A lot of reissues are compilations, since the industry likes to put together pieces originally released on different albums. Having those reissues marked as compilations makes it clear these are not new recordings.

4 Likes

Understand what you’re saying here… just IMO (and only IMO) I think this is illogical when it comes to classical music!

Anyhow will of course stick to style guidelines and find another way of identity it what I consider a compilation in a classical context.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s illogical.
It can be illogical if you only care about the works and not about the performers and their distinctive performances.

But I somehow bind to you point of view in that classical performers usually aim to reproduce a supposed authenticity of each work, resulting in a similar performances (purists and skilled musicians will not agree).

It’s not like covers where a band or an artist plays others’ songs in their own way, which makes covers interesting when they are part of the minority of covers that are better or equally interesting than originals. :wink:

If you just want to know if you have all Mozart’s works, you can use the COLLECTION HIGHLIGHTER on your owned release collection.
Then when you visit this or that composer’s Works page, you will see what works you have and which works you don’t have yet. :slight_smile:

If you like it, please vote the following ticket, for a MusicBrainz integration of this feature:

1 Like