What is the minimum Windows version to run Picard?

Picard in DOS:

This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

OK.
picard dos

What about Windows?

Windows differentiates between console applications and GUI applications that can create windows. Picard obviously is the second type. You can not run it in a pure DOS environment like dosbox.

And even if something is a console application it doesn’t mean it is MS DOS compatible.

I know this. :wink:

But I’ll ask differently.

Will Picard run on Windows ME?

No, it won’t. For current Picard 2 the minimum is Windows 7. For the current master branch with Qt6 it is Windows 10.

2 Likes

Will there be an appropriate message when someone runs Picard on Windows ME?

@Echelon69 Picard documentation clearly states that Picard is available for “Windows, Linux and macOS”, and I am going to start to treat your posts as trolling if you keep asking inane questions like this one.

@outsidecontext is far too polite to make a comment like this, but I am under no inhibitions to speak plainly.

If you want to try running Picard on all sorts of environments, you are (of course) at liberty to try it, but please stop expecting experts who provide support here (and whose personal time is valuable) to waste it responding to your trolling questions.

5 Likes

@Sophist

If there is a message about DOS, there should also be a comment about unsupported Windows.

Or you need to completely remove this line from the Picard code:

“This program cannot be run in DOS mode.”

Picard doesn’t create this message, it is automatically written when the exe is created. Yes, and it would also probably apply to DOS based OS like Win95/ME. And no, I’m not even going to test this.

If you really want to look into running Picard in some unorthodox way have a look at this blog post:

2 Likes

@Echelon69 The “This program cannot be run in DOS mode” is a historical message inserted by a compiler at some point and not something in dev’s control.

And even if it was, it is an entirely ridiculous suggestion that dev’s should spent their precious time on something so petty.

This is an Open Source project, so if you wish to see such “enhancements” included in Picard, please spend your own time investigating and coding them and then submit a Pull Request to request that your code changes are reviewed for inclusion in Picard.

I am now going to ask you more bluntly to stop making these sorts of posts / comments which are wasting everyone’s time.

1 Like