What is a "Soundtrack"

That is just due to the decision that we are not allowed to mark any music that already exists as a soundtrack. Slightly different conversation. I look at a film like The Breakfast Club in a similar way. Even the track that was written for the film is not allowed to be noted as such due to it being a chart track. I don’t want to go down that tangent in this conversation though as I can adjust my own types on local media

But then many of us also do see where the music industry uses it in that way. Example go look at the old charts and there is a Soundtrack Chart. Not a Score chart.

We all use language differently. There is no right and wrong.

1 Like

If you’re talking about charts like the Billboard charts, the Soundtrack chart shows the sales/popularity of the soundtrack recordings, not the scores, so that’s entirely consistent with my point.

God help us if that were true. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the UK I walk into a record store and go to the section titled Soundtracks and look at CDs with Soundtrack written on them. I then buy that CD and it will hold music that is part of a Soundtrack of a film. That purchase then enters the Soundtrack charts. The chart is not for a single Recording, it is the whole Release.

The various tracks on the CD are from Works which are all making up that Soundtrack. Which is what I already broke down above seems quite sensible what MB are doing now by linking a Soundtrack to that Release that then has parts made up of Works.

I think it is quite clear in this thread that we all use language in a different way.

Am now off away to RealWorld™ things and will leave the discussion to others. On the way I’ll put the radio on so I can hear the scores in the football matches being played tonight :rofl:

1 Like

I think sticking with the “proper” use for terms might cause some confusion with those not in the music industry, see also the confusion around the “Song” work type

I would opt to raise their level of education on the subject, rather than (inaccurately) dumbing down the facts to accommodate them.

The soundtrack type should not be applied to each part work, just to the parent work for the concept of the soundtrack / score. This is not just an opinion, but a style guideline for years now (Style / Work - MusicBrainz), and I would really have hoped that someone planning to make fifty thousand edits for works would at least read the work guidelines before starting :neutral_face:.

It’s not lost if they are parts of a soundtrack work for the full score, in the same way it’s not lost that movements of a symphony were composed for a symphony just because they themselves don’t have the “symphony” type.

6 Likes