What do YOU want in ListenBrainz?

I am not sure if this has been asked before, or if it’s the right place to ask, but anyway… I would love to be able to import “favorite” artists from my MusicBrainz/ListenBrainz account to third party applications.

I’ll give you an example. There’s this application called MusicButler which keeps track of new music releases. Like many applications out there, it allows you to automatically import artists to follow by connecting your Spotify, Last.fm, iTunes Music, etc. account, so you don’t have to manually add each artist.

The cool thing is that once the account is connected, MusicButler is kept in sync, so whenever I add a new artist in Spotify, MusicButler sees the change and starts following that artist.

Now, talking about MusicBrainz/ListenBrainz: would it be possible to expose a user’s favorite artists through the API? As far as I know, I don’t think there’s even a concept of “favorite” in MusicBrainz/ListenBrainz, unless we consider a user’s top listened artists (in ListenBrainz) or a user’s edit subscriptions (in MusicBrainz).

Yes, I am mixing things up a bit, but ultimately it would be great to have a “Connect MusicBrainz” button in third party applications that allows you to automate things like importing favorite artists.

2 Likes

Thank you to the ListenBrainz team for all of your work. The platform has gone forward in leaps and bounds over the past year!

Two things I would love to see:

1. Ability to get charts based on listen time rather than scrobbles. I listen to a lot of music which has longer track times and I always feel that charts don’t truly reflect my listening habits. Instead they skew towards artists, albums and genres which have more, shorter tracks.

2. Better handling of collaborations. When two artists work on a project together, they are counted as a separate artist. In terms of maintaining integrity of the charts, I can understand the need to count the scribbles this way, but could the front end intelligently handle this so that scrobbles by artist A collaborating with artist B appear under both of their names rather than a separate A & B ID? (note: I’m not talking about features but full blown collaborations)

9 Likes

Would it be possible to display how many times a particular recording has been played on MB itself? I am not sure if this is a better fit for the MB or LB discussions, but it would be nice to click on a recording on MB and see how many people have listened to it (like how you can see AB key).
Edit: Now that I think about it, it would also be cool if we could go to an artist’s page and see something like the top 5 most popular tracks.

10 Likes

I would like to import playlists fron Spotify, in addition to export playlists from ListenBrainz to Spotify. Moreover, it should be possible to export ListenBrainz playlists as MusicBrainz Collections and viceversa.
As far as user preferences, it should be possible to consider all the information in MusicBrainz ratings, CritiqueBrainz votes and ListenBrainz likes as a single base to drive the recommendation engine.

5 Likes

would it be possible to expose a user’s favorite artists through the API?

As a starting point, ListenBrainz does have a love/hate feature for recordings (rather than artists) which you can retrieve programmatically: https://listenbrainz.readthedocs.io/en/production/dev/api/#get--1-feedback-user-(user_name)-get-feedback

With a bit more manipulation and a few calls to the MusicBrainz API you can get the artists from the recording MBIDs.
A bit cumbersome for your use-case perhaps, but doable.

Otherwise, as you mention you can get your top LB artists: https://listenbrainz.readthedocs.io/en/production/dev/api/#get--1-stats-user-(user_name)-artists

9 posts were split to a new topic: Submitting listens from AirSonic server and clients

The ability to edit already sent listens would be great. I have lots of artists with both their japanese and romanized names, causing duplicates. I’d like to unify and associate them to a MBID.
Maybe we could even set correction rules inside ListenBrainz so that new listens are automatically edited before being sent, though I’m not sure if that would be needed once the MSIDs/MBIDs association is set.

1 Like

Surely already said but in case:

1. A way to import playlists from computers:
    ex:
  • Import a playlist then it finds the Recording IDs from file (if present of course)
  • or creating a playlist from a collection (Easier to create a collection then remove one by one not needed tracks than adding them one by one)
  1. View & Edit Rating/Tags/Critiques from the different pages (Listens, Playlists,…)

2. Drive Foobar from ListenBrainz page (there are remote plugin already existing) in order to easily set Rating/Tags and edit (or an updated foo_listenbrainz to perform Rating/Tags directly in the app and an option to open the release and or recording)

Then when the main functions are there (and working properly :slight_smile: ) interested to see the functions to find new/similar music. (ex: This artist has a new single release, You may like this song or this user playlist may interest you,…)

4 Likes

It might be useful to share playlists or collections among different MetaBrainz projects.

4 Likes

this time of year has given me the idea, implementing something like Spotify Wrapped would be crazy cool~ especially the ability to share to your social media…

3 Likes

We are doing a “Year In Music - 2021” for ListenBrainz. It should arrive soon. Stay tuned :wink:

5 Likes

A map of artists/genres similar to the ones you prefer, like Artist Info, would be cool.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking into this, it’s also a feature I’d like to have.
We have a ticket open for it.
I’d say that should be implemented in the first part of this coming year

3 Likes

May be make some chart of most listened songs on LB? Like /user/Username/charts/ but for all users

4 Likes

I like this idea, this would also make nice statistics on the start page of LB and maybe even MB.

The statistics themselves already kind of exist, I was told that listenbrainz-prod's Stats - ListenBrainz provides data for all users combined.

2 Likes

Yes, the backend support for this exists. But the UI has not been added for it yet. We are also ironing out a few things there to avoid letting one or two users dominate the entire sitewide stats.

The listenbrainz-prod indeed shows stats for the entire site. Sitewide stats will get a dedicated page in future.

3 Likes

I checked out Topsters for the first time in years and saw that they have a huge “PANDEMIC TRUTH REPORT”, which contains what you would expect, on the page. This has created some controversy around the project.
https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/
There’s no good alternatives to this service as far as I know, so I think there is a niche that LB and CAA could fill here.
For those who don’t know, Topsters lets you export your recent last.fm listens in image format so that you could share them on social media. And you could search the last.fm database to find cover art to make a chart you personally curated, for example to make an introduction to a genre or to share your top 100 albums. I think something similar using LB and CAA would help encourage usage of both services.

3 Likes

+1 on being able to edit listens. MessyBrainz integration is good for those who don’t have the ability to support MBIDs, but it can sometimes match titles/artists to the wrong recording. I’ve had my listens go to recordings associated with promotional copies or mixtapes even though the original track is on MB, one of them even went to the wrong artist. It’s still good for what it does, but for when it doesn’t match, having the ability to edit listens would be handy.

The ability to remove listens in a certain timeframe would be nice, too. I have listens I’d like to keep and I haven’t deleted my imported data for that reason. Would help resolve issues like when last.fm was reporting the wrong MBIDs in 2019. If not, having the ability to import from ListenBrainz exports would do too.

5 Likes

@Victini We are collecting list of invalid matches to improve the mapping process in LB-1036. Can you please share the track details (track title and artist name) for the invalid matches?

As far as I can tell, there is no way to tell what the overall top tracks, artists and albums are. I would like to be able to easily check what is popular right now and what are the most popular things of all time. Not for any technical purpose, just curiosity.

It would be cool if we could see the top tracks of the day on the front page, too. My prediction is that LB’s top tracks of the day would be mostly j-pop and metal vs. last.fm’s k-pop and American indie.

3 Likes