What do YOU want in ListenBrainz?

Here are the 2 main features i’m expecting

1. recommendation engine.
    I know it’s on its way, sorry i didn’t check it out yet, but what i’m expecting is a programable interface (some kind web api) similar to lastfm or now defunct echonest.
  2. listening statistics

Thanks so much for your work.
Cheers & Happy listening

5 Likes

I wrote my own scrobb… I mean music tracker, for my audio streamers. When one of my audiostreamers (Bluesound, MusicCast and Heos) play music, the program reports the songs via the ListenBrainz API to my ListenBrainz account.

My wish is that I could add a property that indicates which player(/streamer) is playing the music, so that LB front-end could show (and filter) on players.

4 Likes

This is a useful feature to encourage a larger client ecosystem around LB.

If you build your own client today, it is hard to “get the word out” about your handy tool. Combined with an idea of linking out to clients from listenbrainz.org, it would be awesome to show what client someone is using for their “Now Playing” music like Last.fm once did. Maybe drilling down to a specific play, it would be cool to see what player was used to submit a play.

As a user, I don’t find this interesting or useful to flip through my listen history to see what client was used, but I like to see what client I am currently using for my “now playing.”

Tying in the statistics piece again too (see above), this could enable downstream client devs to understand how widely used, or not, their client is!

4 Likes

I’ve stopped using LB for the time being. I was going to explain the complicated reason why, but I think it suffices to say that if I could wipe the data and re-import from last.fm I would start using it again. Re-importing from there would create a terrible mess so I’m just sticking to last.fm for the time being, so at least one is accurate.

That’s the main thing, other than that:

• Linking to MBID’s would be great, and then displaying data (cover art etc etc) from those MBID’s in LB. This would encourage the addition/updating of data to the items in MB.

Last fm features I make use of, in order of appeal:

• Album/artist/track chat (critiquebrainz integration goes a little way towards covering this) (I would also like to see this in MB, perhaps cross-channel)
  • Similar artist recommendations
  • The new(ish) stats are pretty cool
  • Compatibility stat with other users
6 Likes

This sums up my thoughts pretty well.

1 Like

+1 Enable the option to remove / edit listens.

Music recommendations and or similar users history based on my listen history.

Spotify URLs even for entries where they haven’t been submitted.

+1 Player client history based by user agent used to submit listens.

More predefined (ready to load Sql) Queries at BigQuery.

An android app/client that submits MBID’s.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Android player MBID submission support

More than anything I’d love to see some tools to be able to get some rudimentary per-user profile statistics like:

• Top 10 songs of the week
  • Top 10 singles of the year
  • Top 10 songs of all time etc.
  • Artists discovered this year.

I tried to get some of this data via Big Query but there seemed to be a bug with how the data was stored which was preventing me from going deep into the past.

5 Likes

Hi @punkscience, welcome to the MetaBrainz forums. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you are interested in ListenBrainz statistics and metrics, you might find this thread interesting. Feel free to leave some feedback there:

2 Likes

Would really like to seem time based charts. Lastimer.com was the one I remember using on Last.fm prior to the purge. There was also Normalisr which didn’t involve quite so much database traffic.

I also really liked the stream visualisation from Last chart (http://www.lastchart.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/). My Last.fm user icon is the last successful graph I got from them.

I would also like to see the possibility of embedding BBcode in profiles, as was possible with the old Last.fm. Allowing the community to grow and express itself organically like that seems like something to be aimed for.

Cheers

6 Likes

Hey, just a heads up, we’ve written up this feature and released it now. It should be in your profile page (Sign in - ListenBrainz).

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! Please keep it coming. We’re a bit resource constrained in terms of contributors but we are listening to you and making LB better for everyone slowly but steadily!

2 Likes

Thanks @iliekcomputers for the follow-up and all the good work :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the follow up!! So glad to be able to take part again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

I moved here from Last.fm and I sorely miss the daily, weekly and yearly break downs of listening history (per user and globally). It would be great to have the possibility to see the following for different time ranges (maybe even custom ranges):

• top artists, albums, genres, songs, countries
  • new artists, albums, genres, songs, countries
  • biggest relative change e.g which artist or song jumped the most places
  • most diverse day, week, month, year by genre, country, artist

For sure other can come up with more. It would great to have a page for all of those or even where people can make and share their own queries.
Then it would even be possible to have stats on the queries and for people to check out the most executed queries.

Thank you for making the “Artists” page finally work too!

Cheers

3 Likes

I checked out the projects github and the issues tab is disabled. IMO that’s probably what’s stopping contributions (at least it stopped me). I don’t know what to do or how to help and I don’t want to search a forum for suggestions.

Issues tagged as “help wanted” or “good first issue” go a long way to get new contributors.

2 Likes

All issues/tickets for the MetaBrainz projects are located at https://tickets.metabrainz.org, tickets for ListenBrainz can be found here.

(BTW, this is also linked from the website’s footer, next to the GitHub link and from the README on GitHub :wink:)

3 Likes

We are actively working on infrastructure for this and should have something by the end of summer!

If you wish to help or have suggestions, feel free to come over to irc or send me an email at param [at] metabrainz [dot] org (or post here).

1 Like

Thanks, this is great feedback. I definitely agree that we can make things easier for new contributors.

Do you think a page explaining what to do and linking to the tickets page would have been helpful? We do have a page like that but I have a feeling it is outdated.

My wish is that I could add a property that indicates which player(/streamer) is playing the music, so that LB front-end could show (and filter) on players.

We’ve started tracking clients / players in the listening_from field in additional_info. We’re gonna look at how to surface that information on the frontend and add filtering etc. In the meanwhile, you can submit the listening_from field for future listens!

2 Likes