What do YOU want in ListenBrainz?

sorry for the double-post, but a cool feature that Spotify has that we could sorta replicate is Blends

basically it creates a playlist that you and a friend both like. I feel like we could maybe expand it out to allow more than two people to “blend” together tho~

4 Likes

Greetings! I’m new here, appreciate everyone’s great work.

One feature I would like to see from a general user perspective is a few more fun ways to explore our stats in the explore tab. For example, seeing “hue sound” or “cover art collage” but with songs from our own library. Another cool thing last.fm users can do is import their stats into this website: https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/
One can visualize their top songs for different periods of time. Some people I’ve met online like to share these and it would be nice to have something similar. It could even attract new users to the ecosystem as people share their own. There’s also things like receiptify (which I’m not very familiar with) that seems to lists a Spotify users’ top songs each month in the form of a receipt. It would expand the social aspects of ListenBrainz in my opinion.

Cheers.

5 Likes

Thanks for coming here to give us ideas @puppeht !

That is very much in line with our plans to make a customizable stats art generator:

We already have a few examples of templates which you can see in action here (just a demo for now but stay tuned): ListenBrainz
They are dynamically generated, so you can even try them with your own data: https://api.listenbrainz.org/1/art/designer-top-10/puppeht/week/750

3 Likes

These are looking great! Thanks for responding!

Maybe it would be funny if you did something with the meme “Bill Clinton Swag”? It’s a meme where Bill Clinton sits on the floor holding his favorite vinyls? It originated from an Onion article: Clinton Writes Fan Letter To Joan Jett

Just a fun idea.
Cheers.

4 Likes

Hi @puppeht!

We came up with a bunch of different original grid designs (figma link) to start with, but I’m definitely keen to do more! The sky’s the limit. The UI and proper implementation is a big chunk of work that has to happen first though…

That Clinton swag image generator is one we looked at as well, I love it! You can check out some of our reference points in our LB brainstorm (figma link).
If you come up with good new ideas for image generation please do share. If it will meme, we are probably keen (so the saying goes)

With everything being open source, I’m also hoping other developers will be interested in submitting their own image generators to LB.
You are welcome to leave comments and suggestions on both of those figma files, if you want :slight_smile:

3 Likes

a feature from Spotify which I think is pretty neat is being able to see what playlists you’re being put on as an artist. it’s been brought to my attention a couple times by the artist Malinda and her YouTube Shorts going through her favorites which occasionally grace my feed

this would of course likely need to come after artist pages are properly implemented, or perhaps along with artist pages, but could also be expanded to other pages for releases, release groups, recordings, maybe even works?

2 Likes

On the LB webpage, seemingly clicking on every link (artist, track, user etc.) opens up a new tab instead of showing the new content in the same tab. This poses an inconvenience, because:

It’s inconsistent with MusicBrainz. Clicking on something in MB loads the content in the same tab, it does not open additional tabs.

It’s inconsistent with the rest of the internet. Usually a single click loads the content in the same tab. If I really wanted to load something in an additional tab, I would just use SHIFT + click or just right click and:

If you click a lot on artists, tracks and so on in LB it gets really, really tiresome and tedious to manually close all those unwanted leftover zombie tabs I never asked for.

1 Like

I think the main reason for this is because it’s opening a different web site (MusicBrainz vs. ListenBrainz). I get the feeling this will change once we’ve got artist and release pages on ListenBrainz

5 Likes

But technically it should be very easy to solve by replacing all instances of HTML instances with the target="_blank" attribute with target="_self" (which should be the default value anyway)

No idea how feasible this is but something I’ve noticed is that with the Spotify integration it doesn’t seem to track plays of local files which is a little annoying given that I have a playlist that is a mix of local tracks and Spotify tracks. If it is possible to do this I would definitely like to see it implemented

1 Like

Hello @VikingSchism and welcome !

As far as I understand it, some time in the past couple of years Spotify changed the way they manage their users’ playing history, and started only saving tracks playing through their apps and platform.
What that means unfortunately for us is that tracks played from local devices or using the Spotify web player (for example when you play music with Spotify directly on ListenBrainz) don’t appear in the music listening history.

This is extremely frustrating, and I don’t think there is anything we can do about it.
Quoting the Spotify forums:

Spotify only collects statistics on official music from the platform. If you’re listening to your local files - then Spotify acts just like an ordinary music player. These songs and the time you spent listening to the files that you’ve uploaded doesn’t contribute to your music recommendations.

I can suggest two —unfortunately not very satisfying— workarounds :

1. submit a listen manually from ListenBrainz page; look for this button towards the top of the page:
  2. Use Spotify from their web page (open.spotify.com) combined with the WebScrobbler browser extension to track plays
2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @baysappr !

The main reason we open MB pages in a new tab is to avoid stopping music playback (for those who play music on ListenBrainz).
However, as @UltimateRiff suggested, this is going to change soon when we introduce artist and album pages directly in ListenBrainz.

On the technical side, we also want to make the LB website into a single-page application, to avoid loading an entirely new page when a user navigates around the website. This will help tremendously with the issue I describe above and we will then change our links to open in the same tab as you would expect.

3 Likes

I think my other major suggestion - and I don’t know if this is already on the cards or not possible - is that I’d like to see the mapper be more intelligent about artist/track aliases. In quite a few cases there’ll be artists on MB that use one name, but the name on streaming services like Spotify in other countries may be different. Both are official names for the artist, but currently it seems like no aliases are accounted for. Similarly for track titles where sometimes a translated title might also be used in official contexts but the primary track title on MB is the untranslated one

2 Likes

A weekly “challenge” playlist that would consist of music outside of the genres/styles we usually listen to.

3 Likes

Actual listens browsing is core functionality to me. And editing of listens would complement it perfectly (maybe MB track linking is already sorta that, not quite sure) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I recently started using the android app, and it seems to be working well, capturing listens from the various apps I’m using to listen to local music. I noticed it also picks up YouTube videos and Google Podcasts (based on notifications, I assume). Apps like the official Last.FM scrobbler allow you to disable scrobbling specific apps - is there any way to do this in the ListenBrainz app, or are there any plans to implement this feature?

3 Likes

You can disable specific apps - @Jasjeet implemented this fairly recently :tada:

The button isn’t that intuitive (yet?), but this is where it is:

>

2 Likes

Perfect! I honestly didn’t see the button at first, but now I feel like I should have noticed it :grimacing:

Thanks for such a quick response!

2 Likes

for what it’s worth, podcasts are a part of MusicBrainz (the database behind ListenBrainz), so feel free to keep including those if you want~

also, welcome to the forums~

2 Likes

Ooh good catch, podcast listens are unlikely to be matched right now (because they are a bit of a nightmare to add to MusicBrainz), but I still track all mine for the day that they will be!

2 Likes