.WAV file not renaming

.WAV file is not updating with tag information.

I went through my catalog to organize, abt 60g and the program worked well with most of my files- renaming, tagging, and coverart.

When I imported to mediamonkey I noticed some files were filed under unknown- unknown artist, unknown genre, unknown album.

When I go to the actual file I noticed nothing was tagged. So, I dropped the folder back into metabrainz, retag, re-save, and still no update. This specific file is a .WAV that was ripped from a CD.

I bought a song off Amazon, not tagged, and ran it through metabrainz and it tagged it perfectly.

Any idea why a .WAV won’t tag?

It appears that I can tag this file through MM but would prefer to use MetaBrainz.

Running Windows 10. Tried both external and internal drive.

From the Picard FAQ documentation:

What formats does Picard support?

Picard supports the following file formats:

• MPEG-1 Audio (.mp3, .mp2, .m2a)
  • MPEG-4 Audio (.m4a, .m4b, .m4p, .m4v, .mp4)
  • Windows Media Audio (.wma, .wmv, .asf)
  • Microsoft WAVE (.wav)
  • The True Audio (.tta)
  • FLAC (.flac)
  • Audio Interchange File Format (.aiff, .aif, .aifc)
  • Musepack (.mpc, .mp+)
  • WavPack (.wv)
  • OptimFROG (.ofr, .ofs)
  • Monkey’s Audio (.ape)
  • Tom’s lossless Audio Kompressor (.tak)
  • Speex (.spx)
  • Ogg FLAC (.oggflac)
  • Ogg Theora (.ogg)
  • Ogg Opus (.opus)
  • Ogg Audio (.oga)
  • Ogg Video (.ogv)

WAVs cannot be tagged due to the lack of a standard for doing so, however, they can be fingerprinted and renamed.

Thank you.

I reviewed all my files and have noticed that some .WAV tagged and others not- none from the same album.

The general recommendation is to convert the WAV file into another lossless format which Picard can tag, e.g. FLAC.

Tagging WAV files with ID3 tags might actually come, but it currently depends on the implementation at https://github.com/quodlibet/mutagen/pull/321 being finalized.

1 Like

You recommend changing WAVs to FLACs? UGH! As a DJ, that is like keeping your Tesla in the garage and driving the early 2000s Prius to prom.

Well, I don’t know what specific advantages WAVE files have for DJing, but it probably has some for that specific use case. But for archiving, tagging and normal playback WAVE is more like a 1990 Opel :joy:

6 Likes

I’m guessing that mymoderatemanhood is driving a Volga.

T-Ford?

blablablatoskiptsomesillyforumrestriction