Using fanart.tv to get Artist images?

Anyone here using fanart.tv to get Artist images?

What level of coverage of the Artists you are interested in does fanart.tv provide?

Do you use the Picard fanart.tv plugin?
Does it work reliably?
Do you add the image to each audio file or once to each Release folder?

Do you use a music player that uses the Musicbrainz ID for each Artist to get images from fanart?
(i.e. Artist Slideshow (AS) addon with Kodi.)
Does it work reliably?

2 Likes

I use it (I also developed it), and yes, it does work reliably. But currently it does not have the option to fetch artist images. Main reason was that Picard did not have the ability to mark an image as type “artist”.

Since Picard 2.7 this would be possible (at least for file formats that support the ID3 image types, but that includes also FLAC and WMA). So I could actually add the option to fetch artist images.

3 Likes

actually, I think Kodi natively supports artist images, as well as logos and whatnot. I didn’t have any issues for the month or so I tried Kodi.

coverage was pretty decent, had quite a few Japanese artists in my library, and even a couple of the more obscure fandom artists too~

2 Likes

I prefer to judge based on what I hear to what I see so I’m not a big fan taking the mystery out of everything. I can see the appeal of having it there but when I saw Apple iTunes force feed it to all of us I moved away from that to Clementine. I’m kind of an all or nothing guy, I don’t want just the odd few scattering of faces if it’s unlikely I’ll ever have all those little silhouettes replaced. Plus the photos are usually of these people today, not when the media was recorded. Zimmerframe mandem.

As a KODI user for many years I find KODI’s default hit rate is very high on artist images. Only my obscure artists failed, and it is easy enough to add images in for those. I have no add-ons for art in KODI and still on the default skin.

3 Likes