I strongly use and really appreciate the MusicBrainz initiative and I pose an utility problem.
My music library (flac and dsf) resides in a Synology NAS and, depending on the situation (home/office/mobility/etc …) I use different mediaservers that read the same library reachable on the net or, in the car, the synchronized replication and mp3 compress of the same library.
I noticed that not all media servers are able to properly use the DISCNUMBER tag.
As a consequence, the songs of some albums with multiple discs are likely to be ordered incorrectly, that is instead of…
… they are ordered like this:
This is, for example, the case of the mediaserver supplied with recent Volvo cars.
I have also noticed that not all media servers are able to correctly use a TRACKNUMEBER with a pattern DISCNUMBER-TRACKNUMBER and when they meet the “-” character they cut off the tag limiting themselves to read only the disk number (this is the case of the mediaserver Synology and its web application Audio Station and DS Audio app).
Still, in the case of albums that are sold with more media the problem is even more subtle.
Take the case of the recent King Crimson’s Meltdown, sold in the 3CD + 1BD package.
The tracks of the BD have a higher resolution and being able to rip the BD you have the same tracks as the three CDs but with much higher quality (in the case of Meltdown, 48KHz-24Bits).
CD and BD, however, have the same tag ALBUM so, when you select the album for listening, in the best case you get to listen to a double playlist with tracks first 44/16 and then those 48/24.
I rely heavily on tagging MusicBrainz and try to modify it as little as possible to keep my tagging identical or at least compatible with the MusicBrainz tagging.
So I wonder if anyone has a suggestion to solve this kind of problems.