Unrecorded works

Is it appropriate to add unrecorded works to the database? I’m not sure how to interpret the documentation: https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Classical/Works

“Works belonging to the ‘classical music’ genre should have at least one known recording or performance (even if it is not currently in the MB database).”

But…

“Lost and/or unrecorded music can be entered if necessary for correct relationships and/or to make a composer’s complete catalogue available.”

I’m specifically talking about Anthony Braxton, here. I have a copy of his Composition Notes, and it has a list of his first 132 compositions, but some of them have not been recorded in any form. Composition No. 120, could be useful as it acts as a ‘container’ for several constituent parts that have been performed, even though the whole composition (theoretically an opera), has not been performed (or, at least recorded and commercially released).

3 Likes

Yes, by any means go ahead and add them if you have proof they exist. Performed (but not recorded) works are still useful for events, and even unperformed works are useful information to have.

I think I’ll just remove this “Works belonging to the “classical music” genre should have at least one known recording or performance (even if it is not currently in the MB database).” sentence completely, it’s stupid.

EDIT: Changed this to “Any original classical works can be added to MusicBrainz (for arrangements, see the “Arrangement works” section below). Lost or fragmentary works can be entered, but this should be indicated in the work annotation.”

5 Likes