Tracks on non-classical release credited to composers

That obviously was addressed several times, but after going through a few topics I don’t have a clear answer.

How should one credit tracks/recordings on Argentine: Chamamé. Musique du Paraná? The album is credited to Rudi and Nini Flores who are performers, but on the back cover the tracks are credited to various artists. Those are mainly composers.

I would credit all tracks and recordings to the performers (and add composers through relationships), unless I saw “use credits from the tracklist” all too often.

How should I go about this?

1 Like

I think it makes sense to credit the release and tracks to the performers and simply link the composers on the works, like with a rock or jazz album, if this is not classical(ish) :slight_smile:

Thanks for your input.

Did I get it right this is a gray area with no strict guidelines?

The main gray area is “where does classical end”. For non-classical, I wouldn’t ever consider those track artists - you also could get “Some Song (Lennon / McCartney)” on a Beatles album, but you would still attribute it to the Beatles, not Lennon and McCartney separately :slight_smile:

Alright. So, in your personal opinion, is that album classical or not?

Please don’t shoot me, I am not reosarevok, and I am not the expert to go to on ‘classical music’.
But reading this my first thought is: the ‘classical’ composers I know all come from Europe or the Soviet Union.
If there is some credibility in that, then the musical work from Argentina you are referring to would not be considered a ‘classical’ piece.

I really don’t want to step into the classical/non-classical debate. However, there are some considerations that you might find useful.

You seem to think of “classical” (as applied to editing on MB, i.e. Classical Style Guide) as synonymous with Western classical music. It is not. Unfortunately, in the vernacular “classical” means many forms of art music, including those that bear little classical tradition or none at all. CSG probably borrows this meaning. There is also the term “Contemporary classical music” but personally I find it useless in its breadth.

Considering the above, CSG is applied to editing works of many composers who are not classical according to your criteria. As an example, think post-war American composers.

As a side note, “classical” composers do not come from Europe only (the Soviet Union, its relevant part, is Europe both geographically and culturally). Think Gershwin.

BTW, I do not consider the release that I asked about “classical”. I am just using it as a tool to examine the definition and the boundaries of CSG.

Wikipedia suggests this is a folk style, and while folk albums do indeed sometimes include pieces from a lot of different origins, they are entered in the same way as any other non-classical album :slight_smile:

It does apply to Western classical. I’ve also seen it applied to early music (which I feel generally makes sense because current recordings of early music are often in classical labels and in a classical context) and to things like Indian classical (where I’m not sure whether it works or not, since I know nothing about this style). It does not apply to things like jazz and folk. I do apply it (and think should generally be applied) to brass band music, because it seems to often be composer-centric in a similar way to Western classical.

Ginastera for example is a very much classical Argentinean composer :wink: Piazzolla is one of the cases where it’s in a grey area - I’d use classical guidelines for releases of Piazzolla music recorded in a classical way, but not if they’re recorded by a tango band.

1 Like