To fix or not to fix: wrong catalogue number in recording name

Recording under question: https://musicbrainz.org/recording/f6343d01-e28f-4d5b-a511-5c13c02b544d (and parts 2 and 3 of the same concerto).

Currently the recording name is exactly as printed on CD cover, it references “op. 8 no. 12, RV 449”. The trouble is that op. that op. 8 no. 12 is RV 178, not RV 449. RV 449 is the oboe concerto which is Vivaldi’s own arrangement of RV 178 (violin concerto). I have a physical CD, listened to it and confirm that actually the recording contains a violin concerto, that is RV 178, so the correct name shall be “op. 8 no. 12, RV 178”.

Proofs:

I have already linked the recording to the work RV 178 (violin concerto) instead of RV 449 (oboe concerto). Now the question is what to do with the recording itself:

• Keep as is (RV 449), just add to the recording an annotation that the catalogue number in the recording name is wrong.
  • Change the catalogue number in recording name to RV 178 (correct one), keep track names on media as is (RV 449), add to the recording an annotation that some releases reference a wrong catalogue number in track names.
  • Change the catalogue number in both recording and track names to RV 178 (correct one), since this does not look like an artist’s intent, but just as a bad research when preparing the CD cover.

Which approach would you recommend? I am torn between the 2nd and 3rd.

1 Like

If you do any of 1, 2 or 3, please add the other possible title as an alias.

Which doesn’t help with your dilemma.
But might make a “good enough” choice of way forward more than adequate.
:free: :chicken: