The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

Format C: is the best antivirus.

This article is wild! Sounds like Spotify could have kept it running but decided not to.

1 Like

Dear users :wink:

I would like to write about one more cleaning method/solution, because after formatting you can unformat/undelete.

I know, I know, it’s boring, but I’m a Geek, not a Greek. :wink:

Settings => System => Recovery => Restart new

or while holding down the Shift key, select Restart Windows.

I was unable to change the language to English, but the location and icons are the same in all languages.

When the black CMD window opens, enter the following commands:

diskpart
listdisk
select disk
clean

It’s OK now.

Now command “exit” twice, which can be used to close “diskpart” at any time and turn off the computer.

I put all the steps in one photo.

If you have any questions, feel free to write.

Furby and AI. What could possibly go wrong?
https://twitter.com/jessicard/status/1642671752319758336

Use clean all for good measure.

1 Like

Seems gentler than Terminator. :wink:

When was the last time you pressed the Library button in the Microsoft Store?

The calculator continues to receive updates. :wink:

only when something is broken hahaha

Do you have such games in Windows 10?

That means they keep adding more broken code to something that used to work fine…

Games used to be advert free in Win 7. Most of those games were in Win XP or earlier but they seem to have lost NT 4.0’s Pinball…

“New” does not mean “improved”.

2 Likes

@IvanDobsky

Does Linux receive updates?

nah, i mean it probably does but i don’t play them. I’ve got Steam for that :wink:

2 Likes

Steam is no longer trendy, and neither is Facebook.

All OS tend to keep rolling forward into new editions with new updates. Good and bad. Fixing bugs, adding features, supporting new hardware.

Main difference with collaboration projects like Linux is there tends to be more common sense that shouts down attempts to make a simple text editor a bloated mess.

I supposed Microsoft Store has the advantage there. Never been trendy so can’t fall out of trend.

2 Likes

@IvanDobsky

Maybe Don HO will sell the rights to Notepad++ to Microsoft.

Please no, they would only mess it up by adding Clippy\CoPilot crud.

1 Like

@IvanDobsky

I give you virtual beer. You choose the pad yourself. :wink:

nope, if that happens i’ll cry.

Notepad++ is up there with legendary software that just works and is free. Like VLC player, MPC-HC, 7-zip, XnView, IrfanView, WizTree, Picard (of course)

2 Likes

@sound.and.vision

What is the purpose of 7-zip and WinRAR?

Windows 11 can already do this itself.

https://indianexpress.com/article/technology/tech-news-technology/windows-11-users-can-now-open-rar-files-without-third-party-tools-like-winrar-9006273/

Can it create a 7-zip file? And how do you set a password? How do I change the type of compression in use?

Tools like this have more features. Windows will just dumb an app down for simple use. Fine for simple users, but no good for power users.

1 Like

Windows implementation of Zipping files makes me want to put my head in an oven.

For example it throws an absolute wobbly if there are certain characters in the file name, whereas 7Zip does not care.

You definitely seem to love Micro$oft :wink:

2 Likes