The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

@sound.and.vision

I agree about VLC.

Great, but overloaded. :wink:

Too many bells and whistles.

I have to use it because MPC doesn’t have Chromecast.

1 Like

Winamp (v5.9.0 Build 9999) on the desktop PC and some Yamaha 2.1 speakers if I just want a quick bit of playback. Still use a classic skin as I love how small I can make that player while always on top.

I don’t like the fact VLC still can’t do gapless playback. Can MPC do gapless now?

KODI the main playback and music management, tied into a Yamaha RX-A1070 and Mordaunt Short speakers. Normally this also powers music when I am at the PC as I can fill the house with that system. Depends how loud I am feeling. KODI is the reason I am here at MB as I “needed to sort out my tags”…

Have setup the ability to stream to my mobile phone from KODI via a VPN to my house. Works great over WiFi, and have often listened to whole albums via 4G on a hillside this way. But will hammer the mobile data. (Not KODI installed on the phone, just playing via the Chorus browser on KODI)

Most music on the move is via Yatse on the mobile with an SD Card of FLACs which then connects via Bluetooth into the car. Yatse is also handy for controlling KODI at home when I am not sat at the PC.

Lets also not get distracted with what Home Assistant is now doing pushing audio around the house. That is becoming a more centralised control panel for all my audio. It also helps me tell KODI to push audio to alternate Bluetooth speakers around the house. :nerd_face: :laughing:

@IvanDobsky would you like to have one of these speakers:

1 Like

Most of those speakers look a bit too weird\ugly to me.

One of my clients is a carpenter and has made his own custom cabinets. Now those I like. They are around four foot high, three foot wide. The clarity of audio you hear is at another level. I can hear details in Dark Side of the Moon I had never heard before.

Not sure if my neighbours would like them though.

1 Like

What I’m about to say sounds a bit like a slogan.

There is still hunger in Africa, and people elsewhere are buying million-dollar speakers.

1 Like

Not sure if you can call someone spending a million dollars on single item a normal person. Capitalism is what capitalism is. Those speakers are not worth $1 million. It is just they are selling into a market of people with cash that is used for image and boasting. See also yachts, sports cars, mansions.

But lets get back to the music. I know I could not put a bigger system in as I have had some films cause my windows to flex with the bass! Only have an 8" bass bin but that is enough to make my windows creak! That is an odd situation when you can SEE the audio your system kicks out. :rofl:

4 Likes

“people” I agree.

Buy polish speakers:

I can translate for you. :wink:

The company is over 50 years old.

1 Like

Production begins in 1945. :wink:

Cool site. In English. :wink:

This is what is always worth the money. As long as they focus on audio and not style. Knowledge is key. Looks a sensible price too.

3 Likes

Not only Africa, there is hunger here in the USA, one of the wealthiest countries in the world.

I mostly use MusicBee on the computer and GoneMad on my phone. I still have a stereo with CD player in the living room, but these days I find I buy a CD, rip it (and update MB as needed), then file it away and rarely listen to the CD itself.

1 Like

@highstrung

In 100 years your CDs will be worth a lot. :wink:

As long as the world will still exist.

There will be plenty of TVs and smartphones.

First there will be a shortage of coffee, then bananas, and then bread.

if disc rot hasn’t got to them by then :wink:

maybe, but with them all needing to be “online” many of them will become useless plastic bricks; see things like 8-10 year old Android / Apple phones that are pretty much pointless devices due to not being able to do anything

2 Likes

Apocalypse. :wink:

Only Internet2 can save us.

What good is a smartphone if I have no coffee?!? :sleeping:

Those will be an implant to the brain by then… adverts directly beamed in.

We have banana beer and banana bread now. So I assume we will have banana coffee soon.

@highstrung you must use dumbphone.

1 Like

@IvanDobsky I have had 3 Covid vaccines.

Microchips run through my veins.

I receive 5G without a phone.

Internet mk 1 was also a not for profit, that’s why companies make so much money from using it.

I’m old enough to remember JANET.

My 8 year old android still works fine… as long as you don’t want up to date apps, updates, security or any of that new fangled stuff. It still makes phone calls.

The way tech is progressing it gets a shorter and shorter supported live. By the time we get to 100years tech will be obsolete before you buy it.

That looks like Phone. Sensible just does calls phone. That’s only dumb if you also need a computer in your pocket. Now if that will also play my FLACs I’d be happy.

Remember when phones were these small things that fit in a small pocket?

I got the chimp one, really useful as now I can pick things up with my feet.

1 Like

You’ll need a computer in your pocket for that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like