The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

24 writers on a single song :exploding_head:

6 Likes

So when it comes to splitting the cash from Spotify they each end up with a cheque for 50pence…

I am trying to work out how a room of 24 people would even operate! Do they do a line each?

2 Likes

Yeah it’s like a game of chinese whispers!

1 Like

I’m more thinking of that game where you draw a head on a bit of paper, then fold it over and hide it and then next person draws a torso, etc… :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi all,

For anyone here involved in music composition I made a site for music/audio.

One of the most popular pages is the delay calculator for calculating times in music note timing to use for timing reverbs and delays.

If you need a rap name or just want to have fun, the rap name generator is popular too.

Thanks,
Nick

3 Likes

I got:
Dan the Rap Cat

2 Likes

I got a strange question:

• A weapon you like

Then, as if it was normal to even like any weapon:

• Another weapon you like

A weapon? I like? What?! :rofl:
And then… :scream:
What kind of world are you living in, @nickfever?

Update: I think I got it, it’s making fun of Gangsta Rap names, or something.

2 Likes

i.e…

• lil uzi vert
  • machine gun kelly
  • Tech N9ne
  • Mack 10
  • Key Glock
  • Squirt Gun Smitty… ok, I made that one up
  • Nicky 2 Gunz… ok, I made that up too
1 Like

if you hadn’t said you made those last two up, I would have 100% believed those were actual rapper names… lol

Nicky 2 Guns tho… that’s great~

4 Likes

the closest we’ve got is: Johnny 2 Gunz - MusicBrainz

2 Likes
2 Likes

as seems to be the norm with cool things like this, Tom Scott did a great video on this a while back~

3 Likes

About 17 years ago, I was at work and I can’t remember exactly what happened, but I stood up, flexed both arms and said, “I’m Nicky 2 Guns,” and everybody lost it. I’m not big, lol.

3 Likes

Exploiting aCropalypse: Recovering Truncated PNGs

4 Likes

@chaban - Wow - brilliant. That was a fascinating read. I’ll stick to JPGs. :rofl:

Reminds me when I spotted something similar with (old 2012 era) Skype databases. Turns out if you used Skype to chat, then clicking “delete chat” didn’t clean out the database file. It just reset the pointer to let the next chat overwrite the “deleted” one. So if you had a shorter conversation the next time, the text of the longest chats were never overwritten in the file. That bug cost someone his marriage when I found all the chats he had while having an affair…

2 Likes

A riddle for those more familiar with Picard. Why did the track order get messed up?

MusicBrainz mentioned at 1:01:32

Related:
(via Imagining the Internet Center)

“What I would like to see,” he says, “is a central library of every recorded work. I’d like to sit down, pick pieces and compare versions, and I’d like to do this from home. One way would be via cable TV. The cable companies want to do this with movies, but that won’t be commercially viable for years. They’re aligning before the medium is ready. But with compression, the medium is ready for music right now. You could get 50 audio streams in one TV channel.”

One can dream…

4 Likes

Since it’s not allowed to make more than 3 consecutive posts I’m gonna edit this one until there is a new reply.

An error occurred: No more than 3 consecutive replies are allowed. Please edit your previous reply, or wait for someone to reply to you.

2023-04-03T22:00:00Z

Press statements:

Other media:

If you speak German netzpolitk.org also has a good article series regarding this issue.

2023-04-02T22:00:00Z

Silly volume control UI:
https://twitter.com/0xDesigner/status/1642554817590566915

2023-03-31T22:00:00Z

Flickr to copyleft trolls: drop dead (01 Apr 2023)
Pixsy’s predators no longer welcome.

Today’s a big day for users of Creative Commons images: Flickr has declared zero tolerance for copyleft trolls, predators who exploit a bug in out-of-date versions of the CC licenses in order to threaten good-faith users of CC images who make minor errors in the way they credit the images.

:tada:

2023-03-23T23:00:00Z

Have you ever heard of Buy Music Club?
Launched 2018, it’s a “website for curating and sharing lists of independent music downloads available on Bandcamp”

4 Likes

Possessed by this song

2 Likes

Stumbled across this, quite a nice cover art finding tool!

If you click on ‘help’ they list MusicBrainz/the CAA as the best place to upload images to, as is correct and proper :sunglasses:

12 Likes