The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

https://listenbrainz.org/playlist/ceb296ac-db27-42ea-9ac1-c517fa8d39fa/

Tag “non-music” medium mode

2 Likes

Thanks! @UltimateRiff beat you to the pip but I have linked to both on the ol ‘X’ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I spent a lot of time on this, so you better best appreciate it :wink:

https://listenbrainz.org/playlist/e5d0184e-fc02-47c0-ba36-2e3e70424e30/

1 Like

I have no idea how you put together that mix of artists/tracks… STRANGE :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Are you using WACUP or regular WinAmp? IIRC WinAmp was bought for the name and they’re trying to make it an NFT thing (think what happened to RadioShack and LimeWire) and the last employee who was able to code for the old software has left so no-one knows what’s going on with it now. The owners did want to open-source it but because of copyright issues it’s not just immediately doable.

WACUP is a continuation of WinAmp 5.666 designed to work with modern Windows, with the intention of eclipsing and eventually replacing WinAmp. I’ve tried it and it does a pretty good job, though I have specific library things with MusicBee so I’m stuck there lol.

I may be biased as I am also a beta tester for Winamp. (see old thread) It came back and at least DJ Egg is still there. So I use Winamp. Running one of the 2022 Beta’s (Currently have v5.9.0 build 9999 - Jul 27 2022 open on this PC - various reasons why I not updated that are nothing to do with Winamp) I’ll get round to v.5.9.2 at some point when I get time to read the change logs. It is running rock solid for me, no crashes lockups or problems.

Winamp was bought for Shoutcast and it took that company years to work out what to do with the player. The NFT thing was quickly abandoned. The owners never wanted to open source it as it is basically impossible due to too much licenced code in there. Open Source was only words used on the forum. SO much gossip and misleading carp floating around from that forum (one reason I bailed from there…)

One of the main things that the new Winamp has been doing is stripping out that older licenced code and swapping to newer libraries for MP3\FLAC etc. Junking the borked AOL online stuff, ripping out that IE web browser, etc. Stripping it back and getting it to work on modern hardware again. It is kinda funny that the default interface is so tiny… but then I did run this in the 1990s and monitors were a little smaller. :joy:

Oh - and stop putting a capital A in Winamp as there isn’t one. :grin:

I do have WACUP installed but never fully settled down with it. I saw what the old AOL Winamp did to Dr O as I was on the forums in those final years. Then went off and found KODI from there found MusicBrainz. So it is kinda funny when the Winamp beta came back to life and I refound Winamp.

So don’t be scared of the new, it is a rebirth of the old. :llama: :llama: :llama:

1 Like

Huh. Last time I checked, Egg had also recently left which has left the desktop player in standstill, which was why I asked. While I’ve moved to MusicBee, some things (visualisations especially, as pointed out in this thread) just can’t be replaced. :stuck_out_tongue:

(I’ve actually been trying to find an old Winamp for my XP virtual machine, the old AVS stuff works best on older operating systems…)

Interesting. I had not seen that Winamp thread or heard that DJ Egg had left. So I’ll likely keep to my beta as it is today and never change it. Just that one page of that thread has many of the reasons why I never returned to that forum.

As to an XP version of Winamp? Sounds a mad request but should not be that hard to locate. Just have to work out a version number you are looking for.

Just read back though a year of Beta emails I had not read… and can see when things borked. They even lost access to beta.nullsoft.com. Ouch. So you may want to try here instead: Winamp - Download Old Versions for Windows

Funny to see the first Winamp listed on there is 79.79KB!!

1 Like

When I saw Harry Botter EP | IvanG I had to think of Editor “Harry Botter” - MusicBrainz

3 Likes

Check out lil hand-bot :scream:

Hacked together by @rob:

Who’s going to join us remotely at the '23 summit and make use of this colourful new team member? So soon already… October 2 - 6.

3 Likes

(via DJ MAG Germany)

When I’m thinking music I’m thinking BMW. No, that’s the wrong way around.
When I’m thinking BMW I’m thinking music. No, that doesn’t sound right either.

3 Likes

Were you already “visited” by their bot?

I’m the bot that powers the Soulseek functionality of MH Covers ( https://covers.musichoarders.xyz ).

Policies:

• I will only download image files.
  • I will ignore scans to the best of my ability.
  • I will not display your username or filenames from your share on the site.

Its name is awesomeme

5 Likes

I was confused for a second, but I get it, this is how it searches Soulseek?

Very clever!!

1 Like

What The Phonk: Inside The Rising Genre

Tried to load this in Firefox, got nothing lol

and then there are apparently “variants” of Phonk

If Bandcamp goes down this might become an alternative:

https://twitter.com/subvertallmedia/status/1712873130836807706

1 Like

I don’t know if or how there’s monetization with it, but another potential option is Funkwhale (tho it might be a closer substitute to SoundCloud than Bandcamp…), built on the same framework as other Fediverse social media, like Mastodon and Peertube

edit: I did go ahead and make a ticket for adding Ampwall links in a similar way to Bandcamp links already appear tho~

2 Likes

So, you want to make a Bandcamp... is interesting (and has a surprise mention of MB’s CSG).

4 Likes
5 Likes