The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

That’s the only defect to being the best in the world.

It was once explained to me: the UK has Weather, everyone else has Climate.

We get something to talk about this way. Nothing more British than complaining about the weather.

You would not get beautiful maps like this otherwise.

The battle between the different fronts can be real cool to look at. We are at a junction of so many different influences.

You wrote: “We are at a junction of so many different influences.”

Therefore, the enormous computing power of quantum computers is needed.

One of many explanatory links:

You can throw as much computer power at it as you like, but it all comes down to that pesky butterfly in China.

See also last paragraph as they talk of getting them butterflies stuck inside your fancy quantum computer too and causing more chaos. :butterfly:

1 Like

I’m only dreamer … :wink:

Is Ozzy powered by Quantum Mechanics now? Or are you saying it is the kids causing the chaotic weather? I notice how he doesn’t let any of them into his warm house. That’s only for the adults.

Quantum computers are underdeveloped. But it would be nice if they worked.

MusicBrainz is also constantly evolving. There are new influences, questions, errors …

But we have to strive for perfection.

But you presented Ozzy as an answer? :rofl:

Or is it his fault the weather is a mess. Are you saying Ozzy is a butterfly?

I can see other users logging in and trying to make sense of this thread… it is called Off Topic for a reason. It all makes perfect sense.

Why do you think and write like a machine?

I am a dreamer and I wish quantum computers would work.

I guess the contradiction to that is I believe a machine, even a quantum one, cannot think like a human. Machines are never the answer. A computer will just give you a different answer, it can never be correct. :robot:

I am not a machine. My head is just wired back to front. I confuse everyone who tries to make sense of it. :crazy_face: :upside_down_face:

I dream - but of the world without machines. Let the butterflies rule :butterfly:

1 Like

So throw your computer out the window.

If I do that then I can’t talk toot with you.

But ground floor won’t do much damage and just leave a mess in the garden. Instead I just leave the computer here and run to the hills. You can do both.

(Laughs at the people who though that link would be something else… :rofl:)

4 Likes

Challenge: Who can generate the weirdest playlist, using LB Radio - ListenBrainz, for International Strange Music day on the 24th (I will share the most cooked one)

1 Like

https://listenbrainz.org/playlist/ceb296ac-db27-42ea-9ac1-c517fa8d39fa/

Tag “non-music” medium mode

2 Likes

Thanks! @UltimateRiff beat you to the pip but I have linked to both on the ol ‘X’ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I spent a lot of time on this, so you better best appreciate it :wink:

https://listenbrainz.org/playlist/e5d0184e-fc02-47c0-ba36-2e3e70424e30/

1 Like

I have no idea how you put together that mix of artists/tracks… STRANGE :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Are you using WACUP or regular WinAmp? IIRC WinAmp was bought for the name and they’re trying to make it an NFT thing (think what happened to RadioShack and LimeWire) and the last employee who was able to code for the old software has left so no-one knows what’s going on with it now. The owners did want to open-source it but because of copyright issues it’s not just immediately doable.

WACUP is a continuation of WinAmp 5.666 designed to work with modern Windows, with the intention of eclipsing and eventually replacing WinAmp. I’ve tried it and it does a pretty good job, though I have specific library things with MusicBee so I’m stuck there lol.

I may be biased as I am also a beta tester for Winamp. (see old thread) It came back and at least DJ Egg is still there. So I use Winamp. Running one of the 2022 Beta’s (Currently have v5.9.0 build 9999 - Jul 27 2022 open on this PC - various reasons why I not updated that are nothing to do with Winamp) I’ll get round to v.5.9.2 at some point when I get time to read the change logs. It is running rock solid for me, no crashes lockups or problems.

Winamp was bought for Shoutcast and it took that company years to work out what to do with the player. The NFT thing was quickly abandoned. The owners never wanted to open source it as it is basically impossible due to too much licenced code in there. Open Source was only words used on the forum. SO much gossip and misleading carp floating around from that forum (one reason I bailed from there…)

One of the main things that the new Winamp has been doing is stripping out that older licenced code and swapping to newer libraries for MP3\FLAC etc. Junking the borked AOL online stuff, ripping out that IE web browser, etc. Stripping it back and getting it to work on modern hardware again. It is kinda funny that the default interface is so tiny… but then I did run this in the 1990s and monitors were a little smaller. :joy:

Oh - and stop putting a capital A in Winamp as there isn’t one. :grin:

I do have WACUP installed but never fully settled down with it. I saw what the old AOL Winamp did to Dr O as I was on the forums in those final years. Then went off and found KODI from there found MusicBrainz. So it is kinda funny when the Winamp beta came back to life and I refound Winamp.

So don’t be scared of the new, it is a rebirth of the old. :llama: :llama: :llama:

1 Like