Tags disappear after assigning file to track

I’m encountering a strange problem when MBP matches a file to a track, whether it’s by lookup, scan, or I manually make the match. When I don’t have a file assigned to the track, and check the track’s tags, I see everything there. When a file gets assigned to it, though, some of the tags disappear! I’ve seen it happen on performer tags, which isn’t a huge deal, but it just happened on the title tag, which totally breaks my naming. If I remove the file, or drag it back to the unmatched files, the tag reappears… This is on Windows 7 x64 Pro. Thanks!

You can see what I’m talking about here (ignore the yellow tint; yay f.lux): https://imgur.com/a/7ZLb9

I don’t see any tags disappearing… ? I see the “Genre” tag getting replaced, but apart from that, I only see Picard adding tags…

Edit: I think I see what you’re saying now, the “Title” is empty both before and after. What plugins do you have active?

1 Like

No plugins at all! I dug through the options too, and nothing that seems like it would cause this. It happens repeatedly so is not just an issue pulling the album info or anything…

Can you take a look if there is any output in Help > Show Error / Debug Log ?

Also do you have any script enabled (in options under scripting)?

If you have Options > Tags > Clear existing tags option enabled, Picard will remove any (unprotected) tags not coming from MusicBrainz (that is pre-existing tags Picard doesn’t know about). Check if this option is enabled or not.

1 Like

Nothing in the log, and I don’t have any scripts.

I have clear existing tags enabled (the file doesn’t have any tags at all, though). Disabling the option doesn’t seem to make a difference… Any way to enable more verbose logging?

Be sure to enable debug mode to get maximum verbosity, see https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/troubleshooting/ Getting Logs section.

After attaching a file to a track, did you actually save it ? Because, according to screenshots you attached, it seems to me tagging process is ok, tags are retrieved from MusicBrainz. Be sure to have “Save Tags” enabled in Options.

Do you have issues only with this release ? Which format are your files ?

Please provide the full debug log (post it somewhere and link).

1 Like

When I save the file, it writes all of the tags except the title. The file renaming works as expected, though not as desired since %title% is empty. The file is an mp3. Debug log doesn’t seem to show anything: https://pastebin.com/Py7mTHwg
I’m not sure why its loading plugins. I can’t uninstall them, but they’re not enabled either.

It looks like this problem only happens when the mp3 doesn’t have a title tag. If I use mp3tag to write a dummy title manually, the problem goes away.

This is on 1.4.2. I haven’t tried any other release yet. Any particular one I should try?

I can also post the mp3s if that’s helpful.

what is your file naming scheme?

$replace($replace($replace($replace($replace($if($eq($is_complete(),1),,Incomplete/)\n$if($ne(%genre%,),%genre%,No Genre)/\n$if(\n$or($eq(%genre%,Classical),\n$or($eq(%genre%,Baroque),\n$or($eq(%genre%,Orchestral),\n$eq(%genre%,Soundtrack)\n))),$if($ne(%composersort%,),%composersort%/,No Composer/))\n%album%/\n$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),$num(%discnumber%,1)-,$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,9),$num(%discnumber%,2)-,))$num(%tracknumber%,2) - %title%\n,:, -),\",),>,),<,),_,-)