Styleguide about DVD-Audio layer

There is a styleguide about Hybrid SACD, DualDisc, DVDplus formats.

What about Audio-DVDs with more then one mixes (e.g. 5.1 mix and hi-res stereo as in http://musicbrainz.org/release/c024d126-200f-49b0-8e3d-3212d1151057).

I would split up the mixes to separate “medium”. Is that O.K.?

I would definitely expect all the mixes in the same disc / layer / whatever to be in the same medium. The layer issue is because each layer is a different type of format, not just because they have different mixes.

2 Likes

I have a similar situation and am trying to figure it out. https://musicbrainz.org/release/4905955e-6eaa-44b7-b094-aba82d0513cf is clearly packaged as DVD-Audio, but it states that it has different mixes (surround sound), but it says it also contains DVD-Video Compatible videos as well. Should I just treat this similar to an enhanced CD and tag the different mixes and videos all on one medium. I didn’t even know DVD-Audio had layers like this sometimes. Here’s an image of the packaging: https://ia902706.us.archive.org/3/items/mbid-4905955e-6eaa-44b7-b094-aba82d0513cf/mbid-4905955e-6eaa-44b7-b094-aba82d0513cf-28395545865.jpg

Several DVD-Audio have a DVD-Video content, provided for people not equipped with DVD-Audio player device.

It’s the same reason why SACD usually have a regular audio CD layer (CDDA).

But for DVD-Audio and DVD-Video, is just a matter of putting data files in AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. It is not a physical layer thing.

I have never edited DVD-Audio, we should look for existing examples in MB.

1 Like

I went ahead and edited it with all the track info into the same medium. Easier to split into different mediums than to combine them. But yeah. Makes sense. You can play DVD-Audio in a DVD-Video machine, but not the other way around. So, why not just have some video tracks that will play in the DVD-Video player.

1 Like

Sorry to dig up an older issue, hope it’s OK. I just entered this:

That second disc has all the files in the VIDEO_TS folder. The tracks are the same as the CD, but it has three videos that can be accessed via the menu.

But when I imported one of the audio tracks into Audacity it appeared the file had two streams: one stereo and one 5.1. Should I treat streams the same as layers in Hybrid SACDs and add the album tracks one more time (with a “5.1 mix” suffix)?

Thanks!

Usually a DVD has them all just listed as tracks on the same single medium. So list 5.1 audio alongside the stereo.

SACD tends to be treated different as there are separate layers on the physical medium.

OK, thanks.

What is a good example of an SACD entry with different layers?

And how can I be absolutely sure that the SACD layer contains only a 5.1 stream or also a stereo stream? (Not sure if that requires another layer or not.)
(I have a standalone SACD player but it with my Nektar - Journey to the Centre of the Eye SACD, it plays 5.1 straight away, it does not give me a choice for the stereo, which is the CD layer.)

Sorry I can’t explain how to know what you have. I don’t own an SACD player and assumed it was a feature of the hardware.

1 Like