Apologies if there is already a thread for this, but I have some suggestions for the style guidelines. This could be a place for other people to post their thoughts as well.
I think we should have a page for proper typesetting:
- The differences between ‐ (hyphen), - (hyphen-minus), − (minus), – (en-dash), — (em dash), ― (horizontal bar), and ‒ (figure dash) should be elaborated on and proper usage should be encouraged
- ’ (U+2019) should be used in place of ’ (U+0027) for apostrophes
- Ethiopic writing should use ፡ instead of spaces in most cases
- Proper quotation marks should be used instead of ’ ’ and " " based on context and language e.g. “ ”, ‘ ’, « », 「 」, ’, „ ”
- Armenian should use ֊ for hyphens
- ь should transliterate as ʹ (U+02B9) instead of an apostrophe
- Measurements should use primes ′ and ″ instead of ’ and "
- Ellipsis should use instead … (U+2026) of … (three periods)
- Japanese should use ⋯ instead of ・・・ for midline ellipsis