"State Fair" soundtrack question

Ditto :slight_smile:

(Post must be 20 characters)

It’s kinda annoying that this release is actually the example used in 2 different casts on same release for the disambigation comment, but then doesn’t give an example of handle the track names. I think it should stay like it is. To me, it’s obvious that this release has history as it’s the example used for theatre releases with different year cast compilations. It borrows from the classical guidelines of sections of an overall work.

1 Like

I agree, it’s annoying. I think the reason it was used is because it seems to be unique. I’ve been unable to find another release that includes soundtracks for the same musical by different casts. It doesn’t help that the 1945 soundtrack was never (as far as I can tell) released on its own, so it’s not even a “split,” really.

Quick Soundtrack question for Soundtrack people while you are looking.

That is currently a “Various Artists”. Is that correct? This CD has seven “soundtrack” tracks, but the other eleven track “Score” is from the two artists who are named on the front cover.

Should their prominent credit be appearing in the artist field in some form? Billy Corgan and Mike Garson? Please look at the cover art and let me know how you would do this one.

Most of my other Soundtracks are either one Composer, or a collection of songs. Making them easier to categorise.

Edit: A similar example, 12 Monkeys by Paul Buckmaster has Paul’s name on the front, so he gets full credit. Yet the CD includes other artists. But these are all part of his work.

This is why I think Stigmata should not mention “Various Artists” but be credited in full to Billy Corgan and Mike Garson

Strictly following the guideline, I"d have to say the release artist should be Billy Corgan and Mike Garson, as that’s on the cover. But I struggle with examples like this, too, wondering if the guideline is adequate.

1 Like

Yeah, I know they are guidelines. They are “in most cases do this” but don’t cover everything. I think as this is little known disk no one really knew what to do with it and just saw lots of artists. Seems a little odd to shuffle a Soundtrack CD like that to separate Score from the singles. Billy and Mike are clearly the names on the cover.

I didn’t add these, just updated one of them from my copy. If I was to add it I’d have put in the Billy and Mike names as on the cover. May just edit it in a few days time and see if anyone comments.

(BTW - that image is really annoying. First time I had to use U-Block to suppress something in a forum post before it sent me mad :crazy_face:)

I changed it to a still image. :slight_smile:

It should be Billy Corgan & Mike Garson because that’s who is credited on the cover art. I’ve done a lot of Disney (yes, I know, lol) and this is very common, when they have pop artist contribute recordings, but the overall score artist is on the cover, it’s that artist that gets credited.

2 Likes

Edit #85476398 - MusicBrainz ← fix Release Artist. If vote goes through I’ll sort the rest out in the RG.