Standardized and/or translated artists, what's the expected behaviour?

[PICARD-1232] Use standardized artist names should use the artist as credited if the standardized artist is [unknown] - MetaBrainz JIRA suggests to modify the behaviour when the option Use standardized artist names is enabled.
But while i was looking at the code, i noticed that this option is just ignored if Translate artist names to this locale … is set to a language and the artist’s name has an alias matching it.

It can be tested using Release “Softly the Silent Night” by A Cappella Men's Choir - MusicBrainz and the following options.

With both options disabled, artist’s name is set to A Cappella Men’s Choir
With both options enabled, it is set to [desconegut] (catalan translation of [unknown])
With translated enabled, standardize disabled, it is set to [desconegut]
WIth translated disabled, standardize enabled, it is set to [unknown]

That’s the current behaviour with Picard 2.0 beta (current master).

Do you think it should be modified, and, if yes, how ?

I think the current situation makes a lot of sense. The ticket in question seems more like an edge case and an exception to me. Perhaps it can be added as an extra option, but that could make this settings dialogue very confusing.

2 Likes

I agree with @mfmeulenbelt. It might be better for this sort of “edge case” to be addressed using a plugin.

I think this specific case should be hndled differently. What this basically does is enforce the standardize artist name option in order to do a translation. But the user explicitly has standardize disabled, hence without translation they would get A Cappella Men’s Choir. Since [desconegut] is not a translation of A Cappella Men’s Choir this is unexpected.

I think it would be more correct to keep the artist credits if standardize artist is disabled, even if translation is enabled. Of course changing this will cause somebody come up with a counter example why they don’t want this :confused: Do we need an option?

1 Like

I think adding an option seems the correct solution here.