Split albums in album list where multiple track copies are found

Many of my albums are stored in multiple formats (e.g. mp3, ogg, flac). When these are loaded into Picard they get listed under the same album, as I would expect. So an album with 12 tracks may contain 36 files. My file naming is set so these get stored in three different folders, one per file format. All great so far.

My issue is that these albums are not listed as complete. I regularly load my albums into Picard and use the Remove Perfect Albums plugin to filter these down to the ones which have been modified or incomplete and need saving or restocking. The albums with multiple copies get left behind, although they are, in my view, unmodified and complete.

I am wondering if Picard can be made to do one of the following via an option, plugin or script:

1. Split albums in the album list into multiple albums - one for each file format
  2. List albums which have an exact multiple of the total tracks as complete
  3. Filter such albums from the album list

If not, can this post be taken as a feature request?

1 Like

I am not too convinced about this project, also it would require some fundamental changes in Picard. Currently Picard has each album exactly loaded once. And what about cases with mixed file types?

This is something that could be considered, but I’m also not 100% sure about it. In the majority of cases multiple files per track indicate some kind of issue. But there is some logic to say a otherwise perfect album, which has an exact multiple of the total tracks assigned as files and each track has the same amount of files could be considered complete.

IMHO the best approach currently probably would be to extend the “Remove Perfect Albums” plugin to allow it optionally removing releases that fulfill above criteria.

I added Allow Remove Perfect Albums plugin to remove releases with multiple files per track · Issue #222 · metabrainz/picard-plugins · GitHub for this. Now it only needs somebody to tackle that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts on this. As per your recommendation, I have added the required functionally to the “Remove Perfect Albums” plugin and created a pull request.

3 Likes