Sleevenotes vs fact

A bit of guidance please.
A favourite album of mine: https://musicbrainz.org/release/393913a2-7fde-4ed5-8be6-ca5c2c0ccf0d
It was already entered, but I added the download version with the bonus tracks. Hope I did it correctly :thinking:
The puzzle is that the sleevenotes quite clearly (but wrongly) state that “My Love is like a Red Red Rose” is by Robert Burns. He wrote the words, but this is an instrumental piece and the tune is traditional (part of https://musicbrainz.org/series/4e817004-53ed-438e-96da-88e27fb8d872), so the credit is completely wrong (except for the title). Similar considerations apply to “Ae fond kiss” and “Auld lang syne”. Why should Burns get the credit for an instrumental piece when he was the lyricist?
How should I reflect the information on the release when it is at odds with the facts?
Track listing on sleevenotes is:

5 Ae Fond Kiss Robert Burns  4.37
6 Auld Lang Syne Variations Trad. / Robert Burns 4.05
7 My Love Is Like a Red Red Rose Robert Burns 3.41

EDIT: I should add that the orchestrator of tracks 5 & 7 is not credited in the MB entry or on the track listing with the release, but the sleevenotes say:

I commissioned the
orchestral arrangements from the Irish
composer and orchestrator Paul
Campbell, who has a natural love and
understanding of Celtic music.

It seems to me that he is due more of a credit than Mr Burns (worth a listen).

1 Like

You should go with the facts, if you can support them with a reliable source. The people who write liner notes don’t always do their research.

4 Likes

If you do go for other facts over the liner notes, please mention that in the annotation. Else another editor might come around and “fix” the data based on scans.

5 Likes

For example, this release:

The liner notes say the writer of “Don’t Worry” is unknown, when it’s actually Yoko Ono.

There is a difference between track artist and relationships, and for the second, yeah, go with what’s true and make a note of the difference in the annotation. For the AC, though, stick to what’s displayed on the sleeve, even if it is completely wrong.

1 Like

OK - I’ll leave the AC as it is.

You can mark Recording-Work “performance of” relationships with the “instrumental” attribute. If the performer intended it to be an instrumental rendition of Ae Fond Kiss, then it could be considered that Burns-lyrics Work is the proper one to link, even if they’re actually only performing the tune of it, which predates his poems.

I’m not sure which camp I’m in yet, just saying there are various ways to go about this, without miscrediting. :slight_smile:

That is clearly the case from the sleevenotes. Thanks.