Simple script to sort by First name? Plugin?

I’ve looked thru the forum a bit and most of what I’m seeing seems more detailed than what I’m looking for.

All I want is Artist sorted by first name, and title. That’s it.
I’d like Bruce Springsteen in the B’s, not the S’s, with all his songs listed together in the Bruce folder

No:
album info
Track #
Date
Feat artist
Genre

Currently, Bruce in in the S’s (last name), but listed by his full name. So I have to stop and read a few lines to determine if I’m in the S’s yet, then find Bruce.

Sorry if this should be in another heading. Feel free to move it, or suggest a better place for me to post it.
I’m not a power user by any means. If I could just get this organized the way I used to have it, I’ll be thrilled.

Thanks

You have to set the sort name tags (artistsort, albumartistsort) to the normal artist name or remove them completely.

In Options > Scripting add a script with:

$set(artistsort,%artist%)
$set(albumartistsort,%albumartist%)
2 Likes

I just came across this thread, so wanted to add this if anyone in future has the same use case as me.

I wanted to keep the first name as the default sort, but not for artists beginning with “The” or “A”.

So while “Springsteen, Bruce” becomes “Bruce Springsteen”, I wanted “Beatles, The” to remain. I used the below script to achieve this. You can add extra prefixes.

$set(artistsort,$swapprefix(%artist%,A,The))
$set(albumartistsort,$swapprefix(%albumartist%,A,The))
1 Like

Just fyi, the Enhanced Titles plugin also adds the function $swapprefix_lang.

This allows you to do the same thing but specify a set of languages from which to take prefixes, for example:

$swapprefix_lang(%artist%,eng,ita)

This will also include prefixes such as “La”, “Il”, etc… other than “The” and “A”.

The languages available as of now are English, Spanish, Italian, German, French and Portuguese.

3 Likes