Should 'In Flames - I, The Mask (Arcade Version)' be considered a completely different Album?

In Flames - I, The Mask (Arcade Version) is I, The Mask with the vocals removed and all the instrumentals converted to 8-bit like old 8-bit console music. Should this be considered a completely different Album instead of a different Release? They are so different I don’t think the same logic applies in this case. There are very good reasons someone would want both version and software that tags this album is going to think they are both the same album.

2 Likes

Yes, especially if none of the original recordings appear on the release. Remixes, instrumentals, karaoke, etc. are considered different release groups if none of the original recordings appear on them. (Sometimes they may be bonus tracks etc., so that wouldn’t be different).

3 Likes

I’d consider linking this standalone release group to the original via the cover relationship. (If the vocals were replaced by 8-bit sounds, and the original instruments were also replaced by 8-bit sounds, then this isn’t a remix, but rather a standalone performance.)

3 Likes