Should bootleg release groups be in the same series as official release groups?

so, I’m finally starting cleaning up the My Little Pony soundtrack releases, and I’ve already run into a question I don’t know the answer to…

there’s several bootleg copies of the soundtrack, usually divided by season. there’s also official releases which are a bit more like compilations. I know these should be seperate release groups, as there’s little overlap between the individual releases in question, but I want to collect the complete soundtrack releases into a series… should these get their own series, or be grouped in with the official releases below?

I kinda want to just add them all to one series, but it seems kind of off to put bootleg releases in with official releases… I dunno…

to answer the next question, I don’t believe there were any per-season official releases for MLP:FIM, so these release groups will quite likely never have any official releases.

Doesn’t look like there’s anything in the guidelines around this.

So… do whatever you want, that fits what you have in mind for the series to represent? You could do any or all of these, I think they’d all be useful to someone out there:

• My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (TV series soundtrack releases)
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (TV series official soundtrack releases)
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (TV series unofficial soundtrack releases)

you know, they can always be merged… until we’ve got a better solution, I’ve made a seperate release group series~

1 Like

How much overlap is there? If the bootlegs are the official plus extra tracks this often means the same RG. I’ve seen this with film soundtracks and official Pink Floyd albums.

Not knowing your source material, I assume Season 1 music is all the same - so would be in a single RG. Look at bootlegs like deluxe releases with extra tracks.

If there is a “boxset” of multiple seasons in one Release, it would then be a compilation.

1 Like

not much, if any. all the official releases pull musical numbers from multiple seasons. the only song used for more than one season is the opening and closing credits theme, and even then, starting from season 2 there was a new recording of the opening theme.

on the other hand, the only existing bootleg releases I’ve found in the DB only pull music from one season (or in one case, two). there’s a few bootlegs which don’t include the background music or include different background music, but if they represent the same season, I have been merging these release groups, for example, season 3 (merges pending)

as said tho, as far as I know, there was no official releases divided by season. all of them (in MusicBrainz) have songs from multiple seasons, so they don’t match up with any of the season-based bootlegs

2 Likes