Should "Add cover art" edits be auto-edits?

(I know it must exist but) None of the incorrect edits that came across in my collection was intentional, malicious, sabotage. :wink:

It was just that these editors didnā€™t care at all, they just want a generic square image to tag their rips with MusicBrainz Picard Tagger.

They should use some other websites that are meant for that (I forgot the name, fanpixs something).

But all these editors are at the same time not the kind of editors who will read our edit notes, or at least they donā€™t often answer.

So for these (not rare edits), the voting period is good to stop an hemorrhage.
Even if, most of the time, I will spot the errors long time after the voting period has ended.

7 Likes

I canā€™t vote anymore on this threadā€¦

Just had the same thought, for a fresh release or if the same author of the release adds an album art it should be automatically applied.

4 Likes

All that will happen if itā€™s an auto-edit is that less people will see it and check if itā€™s a thumbnail when itā€™s very easy to get the full artwork. I constantly replace thumbnail-sized covers for digital releases and vote no on open edits that add them when I spot them.

I have a 12:1 ratio for adding cover art and voting no on adds/removing bad covers. Itā€™s very common and I donā€™t even go out of my way to look for bad covers.

8 Likes

If the release had no artwork before, and the thumbnail-sized image is correct for that release, then it seems to me the addition makes the data better and should not be voted against.

3 Likes

The image can be wrong also, like square instead of rectangle, another edition, etc.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I meant for ā€œcorrect for that releaseā€. That is, if the only thing wrong with an image is that itā€™s smaller than other versions available on the net, thatā€™s not a reason to vote No.

4 Likes

Itā€™s not an auto edit but it has immediate effect, so what benefit would there be that it would be autoedit?

The inconveniences are:

• They would be less likely reviewd
  • It is more work to remove bad image than just vote no
8 Likes

Voting yes on a 300px thumbnail from a digital service and then waiting until the edit passes and then removing it with a non-auto edit isnā€™t a very effective way to go about things. Itā€™s more effective to upload the full resolution and then vote no on the bad version.

8 Likes

Iā€™m one of those who feel itā€™s wrong voting no on anything that isnā€™t wrong. So I just leave a tab open for the release and come back when the 7 day period is over and add a better version then :laughing:

Comments to let inexperienced users know about higher quality sources to prevent future low quality images Iā€™m all for though. That way no need to fix at all! And more encouraging so people keep editing in the future :smiley:

And as for the auto-edits, I donā€™t really feel strongly any way about it. Positives and negatives for all options.

4 Likes

I think whatā€™s wrong is when for example a square cover art is uploaded on a release that did not match square cover.

Or any other edition mismatch.

3 Likes

Steps for removing an incorrectly added cover art entry:

1. Click ā€œRemoveā€
  2. Give reason for removal
  3. Confirm edit

Steps for voting against a cover art edit:

1. Click ā€œNoā€ radio button
  2. Explain reason for vote in edit note, without demotivating or scaring away new contributors
  3. Confirm edit

The inconveniences of them not being auto edits:

• Itā€™s inconsistent with all other edit types that just add information
  • It makes the orange ā€œthis entity has pending editsā€ marker nearly useless
  • It potentially leads to frustration for new editors when they receive ā€œNoā€ votes with edit notes that are not worded carefully (or even entirely without explanation)
2 Likes

Most non-autoedit add types are like this and itā€™s better like this, that we can directly see it before the end of the vote period.

It means we think most edits are good by default.

When comparing no votes vs remove edits:

I prefer that the editor is told that this kind of cover is wrong so that maybe the editor will improve.

If you silently remove all their cover arts, they will never know and will ever continue.
That will pile up more and more work for everybody and will likely end up in even much much more incorrect cover arts.

7 Likes