Separate release groups for album samplers?

So the vote was 5-2 in favour of the merge. the merge was as per current guidelines. why cancel it?

There are a HUGE number of samplers already out there that are part of their RG. Following current guidelines.

Why post the discussion in the forum and have a vote if it is abandoned before it gets to the end?

I give up on trying to make sense of this place. Why have guidelines if they are to be ignored?

2 Likes

Take my cancel as the only way I can vote No or Abstain to my own edit.
As I am still in doubt and slightly more agree with keep separate now after reading the responses here.
I found a relationship that can link those 2 release groups in a way that is not semantically incorrect (album includes sampler).

What I wanted is not as it was, I wanted no more 2 unlinked release groups.
This goal is now attained.

If another editor would queue a merge edit, I would not vote No.

A cancelled merge can always be redone later. No harm done.

@ivandobsky, the current guidelines just say “Promotional versions” belong in the same RG. The whole discussion here is whether a sampler taken from the album (generally for promotional purposes) should be treated the same as a copy of the full release stamped “for promotion only”.

One way or another, we should clarify the guidelines - either to say “Promotional versions (including samplers)” or to add samplers to the “what should not be grouped” section.

2 Likes

I don’t think that is correct. The includes/included in parameter is for a release that is also included in a RG that includes other albums. See the help text:

For example, this 6-disc box set includes three 2-disc releases that are/were also sold individually:

If you buy the “Dance of the Rainbow Serpent,” you don’t also get the sampler.

For my money, including promos in the RG with the official releases is logical, and unambiguously displayed in MB:

If I’m asked, “Do you own this album?” my response would be “I have a promo version with tracks.”

2 Likes

First off, I know what includes relationship is primarily made for: often albums (but here a sampler) that are included in bigger ones (often compilations, but here an album). :wink:

Still the album includes the sampler, it has all its tracks (and more). So at least it’s better than no relationships to me, better than annotations too.
So yes, if I buy the album, I do get the sampler (all its tracks).

If I had only a sampler, I would really not consider having the album at all.

I think that’s stretching the use of “include” a little too far. The “sampler” is the disc, not the tracks that happen to also be on the disc.

1 Like

But we do also use the “includes” relationship for a single “two-fer” CD that compiles two LPs.

2 Likes

wait maybe I misunderstood the relationship, but I thought “includes in” means physically included in a box set, and if the tracklist is abstractly included in, I use the “taken from”.
example: Release “melon” by THE BINARY - MusicBrainz
so I’d use the “taken from” relation in this case, even though the link phrase specifies “single/EP”…

No, “includes in” also works for a digital compilation including multiple albums in one “disc” - after all, it’s release group - release group, so it cannot be connected to one specific CD version :slight_smile:

1 Like

A different, more use centric, way to look at it would be “when does a user start looking for it on its own” or “when is it more practical for MB browsers or Picard users to display it in a different group”

2 Likes

That would help with situations like I found last night. I found a promotion disc that was promoting an artist, rather than an album, so it had tracks from several of the artist’s albums. That, in my opinion, would be reason for the sampler to be in its own RG.

In this case, there is no questions. :wink:
Where would you put it, if not in its own compilation RG?

That’s what I said.

That, in my opinion, would be reason for the sampler to be in its own RG.
:wink:

1 Like