Script Newb need help

I’ve been trying to figure out how to get my mp3 collection sorted out. I have an idea for how I want the files named, but no idea how to execute it.

I’m looking for:
genre/artist/year - album/artist - title

which is easy enough to figure out. What I don’t understand is how to add in script/tags to move the “leading the” ie, the beatles = beatles, the; take featured artists out of the album and add to title; and how to deal with various artists and soundtracks.
Can anyone help me with this?

$set(artist,$swapprefix(%artist%))

I don’t quite get where you want feat. removed and where added, but there is a “Feat. Artists in Titles” plugin.

1 Like

so, would that go in the file name string somewhere? or in scripting? I’m really confused with this stuff.

as things work right now, it separates songs with featured artists into a separate album folder. I’d like the featured artist to be listed in the title of the song so I don’t end up with a bunch of extra files, if you know what I mean.

It sounds like you might be wanting to use albumartist rather than artist for the first part of your naming string (after genre)

I suspect your file name string would look something like:

%genre%/$swapprefix(%albumartist%)/$left($if2(%date%,%originaldate%,0000),4) - %album%/%artist% - %title%

Note that this is just off the top of my head and hasn’t been tested. You might also want to have a look at this thread:

And perhaps this one:

2 Likes

Also, you might want to look at the tag %albumartistsort%. This will get you your “Beatles, The”, but it will also get “Dylan, Bob”. You don’t mention whether you want individuals sorted this way, but I thought I’d mention it just in case.

The problem with sorting by genre, is there’s no guarantee that all the songs on a particular album are going to have the same genre. Genre tags in MB are pretty chaotic, so you may end up with an album’s tracks split up over multiple genres.

2 Likes

Excellent point. I’ve always avoided genre when naming and filing my music, and that’s one of the reasons why.

It depends what you want. If you want to save this in the file tags, you would use the above code in scripting. If you just want to use it in file naming you would place e.g. $swapprefix(%artist%) in the file naming script at the position you want it to be used.

1 Like