Same recording, with applause: still same recording?

Out of boredom I started looking through the 9th of beethoven symphonies. I stumbled over these two releases: https://musicbrainz.org/release/c376817a-a9e5-4e98-b863-ce43b9a58da0 and https://musicbrainz.org/release/beff4605-a47a-4f19-a1be-a37792965c94 . It seems obvious to me that they are recordings of the same performance (both live, at the same place, with dates that contain each other), but one has tracks for applause and the other doesn’t (letting me think that one either cropped them or included it in the other tracks), and the track times are quite different. I would love to merge them (as they are apparently recordings of the same performance), but what’s the official point of view on this matter?

2 Likes

So it’s different recording IMO no merge needed.

5 Likes

The ArtHaus one is a Blu-ray, so I guess each medium is presented as a continuous concert with just index markers. The extra stuff isn’t just applause, it adds up to more than than the CD track lengths, and do Japanese audiences applaud between movements? I would think not. They are not eligible for merging.

2 Likes

I didn’t notice that detail before, but I guess we have video vs audio? Another thing to don’t make that merging.

2 Likes

Can you Relate these Recordings through an Event (the concert) , instead of Merging them?

7 Likes

I also learned that you can have a recording - recording relationship, if something like a long lasting applause is cut out. You can then go and link one recording as an edited version of another recording

4 Likes

What if both versions have the same ISRC?

2 Likes

They are still audibly different so are still separate. :slight_smile:
I know several different recordings legitimately sharing ISRC.

5 Likes

ISRCs are not unique identifiers and are assigned based on different criteria than MusicBrainz Recordings. The same ISRC can be assigned to multiple distinct recordings, just as a single recording can be assigned multiple ISRCs. Please don’t use ISRCs as your (sole) basis for judging whether there should be one or multiple Recordings in MusicBrainz.

Remember, MusicBrainz is MusicBrainz, not IFPI.

6 Likes