Saint Petersburg, Russia missing from places

Maybe I’m blind but Saint Petersburg, Russia (or St Petersburg) seems to be missing from the list of Places. I tried Leningrad and it isn’t there either. Leningradskaya oblast’ is listed but that is like a State.

It was St Peterburg I think, the name choices are not consistent, unfortunately.
Sometimes they are English, eg. Rome or Munich and sometimes the native name is used eg. Wien or Praha.

2 Likes

Thanks. You did help me as it is listed as Sankt-Peterburg. Whatever that means!!!

The Russian name is Санкт-Петербург which is exactly Sankt Peterburg

1 Like

Well that is a first for me, but then again I’m Australian👨‍🌾

First off, BookBrainz’ areas are imported straight from MusicBrainz, so if an area is missing from BB, check whether it is in MusicBrainz first, and if not, open an Area Request ticket. :slight_smile:

That said, MusicBrainz generally defer to native names, and Sankt-Peterburg is the transliteration of “Санкт-Петербург” which is the official name. It seems there’s also a “Saint Petersburg” English primary alias, but I guess BookBrainz does not account for these when looking up areas. This is probably worthy of a BookBrainz ticket. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That would be nice , indeed…

Thanks, I’ve created a ticket to track this:

6 Likes

The official name of The Hague is Den Haag or/and 's Gravenhage or íf you go way back in time: des Graven Hage

So why not all names of places in the English version?

Its all so confusing if you use the English name for one place and the official name for another place

All the conversations are in English, this forum is in English, so why not all the names of all the places.

Then we can find them :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Best is both, imo, native name + English alias and that’s what’s indended with this ticket :wink:

2 Likes