SACD types and DiscID

Disc IDs represent the TOC of a compact disc. So they don’t make sense for other media types.

I suppose it’s possible also that a CD copy protection scheme could have busted up the TOC in this manner, for example perhaps a multisession disc could be made with only the first session having a valid TOC (with the idea being that your CD player does not implement orange book multisession discs but your PC does and gets confused).

1 Like

It’s quite possible these errant discids were submitted with old versions of foo_musicbrainz, a component for foobar2000. TOCs were calculated based on the number of samples per track and not reading from CDs.

With older versions, for a selection of tracks to “qualify” as CD, the length in samples had to be divisible by 588 to leave a whole number which is fine if the samplerate is 44100 (44100 / 588 = 75 sectors)

With the samplerate of SACDs being 64x44100, it would still be divisible by 588 but the each track length would be 64 times longer than the reality.

But any like any TOC submission, it has be done through a browser and any editor using this and not even glancing at the generated track times is an idiot and I think only they are to blame for these entries!!! These entries absolutely should be removed.

edit: harsh comment about editors not noticing abnormal times removed. It seems the site doesn’t provide a nice preview before submitting. Apologies. :smiley:

FWIW, the component was originally written in 2009 and abandoned in 2012 by the original developer. I made some minor tweaks in 2015 and then gave it a major rewrite last year and this bug was fixed by me as it was also reported/discussed in this thread…

I no longer maintain it.

6 Likes

To be fair to these editors the disc ID submission user interface is simply awful and nowhere does it display the track times of the disc ID you are about to submit nor does it display the existing track times (if any) of the release you are about to attach it to. The only feedback you get is the total number of tracks.

You can only get a nice display of the disc ID compared with current track times after it is attached to a release, by beginning to enter a “Set Tracklist Duration” edit (for example with one of these bogus disc IDs)

I always double check immediately after disc ID submission (usually by submitting an update track durations edit) because I have personally made disc ID attachment mistakes on multiple occasions. It would be really nice if all that information was displayed before the disc ID is attached…

4 Likes

OK, I take the “idiot editor” comment back. Also, I guess it could be argued some sort of server validation for maximum lengths should also be performed!

3 Likes

But we can remove them all, those wrong Disc IDs.

2 Likes

@marc2k3: thanks or the link to the old thread, I completely missed that one.

So the consensus seems to be “all discIDs above the physical limit of the CD can/should be removed, since they had to be computed from buggy tools/corrupted discs”, right?

I will create a report for discids > 90 minutes to help the cleanup.

Right now I see in the DB:
name │ count
CD │ 119
CD-R │ 1
DVD-Video │ 1
Enhanced CD │ 1
HDCD │ 1
HQCD │ 2
Hybrid SACD │ 52
Hybrid SACD (CD layer) │ 9
SACD │ 26
SHM-CD │ 1
SHM-SACD │ 4

5 Likes

That would be great. So far I used ReleasesConflictingDiscIDs (for subscribed entities) to find them by hand :wink:

2 Likes

Yep, 90 minutes seems fair. I vaguely remember “overburning” being a thing where some home-made CD-Rs might be slightly over 80 minutes.

I was about to say anything over 80 minutes wouldn’t be commercially available but then I had a quick google…

3 Likes

I submitted a report for inclusion in the official list, if somebody wants to start working there’s a static version on github :slight_smile:

Could the general “Hybrid SACD” be blocked so that DiscID can only be added to "Hybrid SACD (CD layer) explicitly? In that case I can safely submit some SACD layer track times when adding a general release 1-medium-style without being in danger of losing those to a DiscID edit.

Why don’t you add the CD layer at the same time?
Isn’t the CD layer easier to add to MB?

1 Like

Wouldn’t that create duplicate recordings?

Not if you do like this:

1 Like

Hm… I tried that before and it doesn’t seem to bring up a medium that is just being added, only existing ones. I’ll look again.

I think the suggestion is to first submit the release with just one medium and then immediately edit it to add the other media because indeed, I don’t think there’s a way to both create new recordings from the release editor and also link them to multiple newly-added tracks.

(You could also create the recordings first but that’s super tedious. Merging recordings afterwards is also an option).

Yes, create the release from Disc ID for the CD layer easily.
Then edit the release to add medium from existing medium (CD layer). :slight_smile:

We’re running in crcles here… since I don’t submit DiscIDs I’ll just create new releases as best as I can. Since I also learn from example, let me just cite 3 biggest problems with MB releases - a personal opinion which says “Do what little you want” and continue editing with my own priorities :slight_smile:

He he, just a last try, because I didn’t understand why you don’t submit DiscID:

Adding release through DiscID is not something more too so, it is a way that makes the task so very much easier and quicker. :wink:

2 Likes

https://musicbrainz.org/report/CDTOCDubiousLength

The new report is available, thanks @yvanzo and @reosarevok
https://musicbrainz.org/report/CDTOCDubiousLength

2 Likes

All the listed Disc IDs and their related releases have already been checked, most of them have pending removal edits now. Only a few results have not been removed because their times are likely correct, yet they were artificially created (multiple CDs entered as one, Disc ID for a DVD).

Thanks to @chaban and a few other quick editors for their help to finish this report within a day of its release :slight_smile:

Some releases still need their track times to be corrected manually after the removal edits have been applied because the wrong Disc IDs were used to set them.

3 Likes