Repurposing of items considered harmful

The only problem I see is that most of the BB/MB generated e-mails are placed in most cases in the spam folder. I’m afraid we won’t reach users via e-mail when we don’t reach them via @user pinging.

But as goldilox wrote:

1 Like

My compliments to @GLBW for his quick action to this little rumble in the jungle :wink:

4 Likes

Some of my best friends are sheep :sheep:

From now on that is how you will be remembered.

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m not quite sure if I won’t miss the combination of @goldilox and the word “vandalism”.
It always put a smile on my face and who knows:
Someday when dictator goldilox will be ruling BB with iron hands we might have forgotten the only one, who foresaw everything.

2 Likes

I don’t really get it either (but I’m not a editor of BB).

If someone would like to correct the edition to reflect and relate to everything ‘correctly’ it would be very helpful for me to see how things are meant to be: Die Abenteuer des braven Soldaten Schwejk (Edition) – BookBrainz

I had added each book as a work (1, 2) linked to this one edition (these should be removed I’m guessing?). I would have a crack but my BB login has stopped working.

Am I understanding it correctly that currently there should be a work for every story/book as first published, and then any collected edition of these should be linked to all contained works? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

IMO that is an accurate summation.

I have described the publication history of Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války, so to do it again would be pointless.

To give an example, there are many novels which form part of a series (they could number a few or many). They are published separately over a period of time. In many cases the narrative is back to back and to fully understand the narrative they need to be read in sequence.

Occasionally, these books will be published as an omnibus edition using the title of the series.

I think most people would agree these books require a unique Work for each title.

That is no different to Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války, or The Lord of the Rings, or À la recherche du temps perdu, or Harry Potter.

I objected to retaining The Lord of the Rings as a Work for the very reason that once an exemption is made it sets a precedent.

In respect of your submission, I think your memory might be a bit hazy. It was 2015 after all!

You submitted this Edition Die Abenteuer des braven Soldaten Schwejk and you linked it to the Work Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války, which you also created.

Your German Edition should have used German Work titles.

The information you listed in the Annotation section was enough for me to establish that your book contained all six volumes. I retitled Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války to V zázemí (which is the Czech title for the first volume) and then created each of the six German Work titles and listed them in your Edition. I then created the remaining five original Czech Work titles and set up the translation relationships. I also added Works for the four titles that have been translated into English.

Now that I know that retitling credits is forbidden, with the benefit of hindsight I would have deleted the Work for Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války and started afresh.

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
‘My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!’
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

The role of dictator is not one of my aspirations!

1 Like

Well, if we take it accurately we already have one of the biggest and most famous collection of texts as a work: The Bible.

1 Like

You’re quite correct and on Bookogs many of the individual texts had been generated as Works. Because collection titles were also treated as a Work this wasn’t a problem.

I remember there was a lot of discussion about which language the Work titles should be recorded in, given that on Bookogs the Work title was supposed to be in the original published language.

Thanks!

For what it’s worth, your casual editor (e.g. me) would have always added this as a single work regardless of precedent, because I don’t know the publishing history, and I thought my in hand version was how it was published.

Then a more knowledgeable user would come and poke holes in it later. Which is fine by me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You have raised a good point and that is how to prevent contributors from creating invalid Works ad infinitum.

On Bookogs we simply created a placeholder Credit which explained it was invalid with a redirect notice and hyperlink to the correct entry. Bookogs used images and on these particular Credits there was an image of a yellow exclamation mark stating Do Not Use.

Unfortunately, they didn’t always have the desired effect.

@selflessself this also applies to you:

For example, I changed the language field for John Maynard Keynes to ‘Multiple languages’ because this form applies to numerous languages. If you have a look at the Wikidata page, you will see this is correct: John Maynard Keynes - Wikidata

This makes sense, although I feel like this might cause problems later on if we make a Picard-like tool for tagging books e.g. if someone wants all their authors to have their names listed specifically in “English” then they might not be able to easily automatically convert things because the English name for an author is under [Multiple Languages]. But on the other hand, this could quickly create bloated aliases for some artists if the same Latin words are repeated under a ton of different languages…

1 Like