Renaming folders and filenames from tags

Hi there, I want to be able to rename folders according to the artist and album tag and also rename filenames from the tags. I have searched but couldn’t find an answer. From searching the web it seems that MediaMonkey would be able to rename the the folders and filenames (I haven’t checked it out yet though).
Now, Ideally I would like to use Picard for all my tagging and renaming needs. Can Picard do it?

I think what you’re looking for is found in Picard under Options -> File Naming. From there you can set a formatting template based on Picard’s scripting language and tag names. There is also general help information available for the options.

The format template that I generally use here is:

$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if($ne(%album%,),%album% /)$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),%discnumber%-,)$if($ne(%tracknumber%,),$num(%tracknumber%,2) %title%,%title%)$if($ne(%musicbrainz_artistid%,%musicbrainz_albumartistid%), [%artist%],)

This should all be entered on one line with no spaces other than between “%tracknumber%,2)” and “%title”, and just before “[%artist%]”.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Hi, Thanks for replying :slight_smile: I had tried what you suggested but nothing happened. But seeing you suggested it i tried again. I could get it to work after a fashion if the files where moved when being saved. The folder name did change but the filename didn’t. I’m going to work on it but if i can’t work it out I’ll be back…

There are separate settings for moving and renaming files, both have to be enabled.

1 Like

This might sound a bit goofy, but what I do is move the files to a temporary directory and then re-process them with Picard from there. That way Picard will rename the files and create the appropriate target directories automatically.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Repository for neat file name string patterns and tagger script snippets