P:\mp3\Various Artists\_NOW\Now That's What I Call the 90's\2014
to 3 new directories:
P:\mp3\Various Artists\_NOW\Now That's What I Call the 90's (disc 1)\2014
P:\mp3\Various Artists\_NOW\Now That's What I Call the 90's (disc 2)\2014
P:\mp3\Various Artists\_NOW\Now That's What I Call the 90's (disc 3)\2014

What syntax do I have to use in Picard’s
Options -> Options -> File Naming -> Move Files when saving
to get this new structure?
(The filenaming and splitting itself is not the problem. This is only about “Move Files when saving” and the new directory structure)

If I use a . (dot), then I get:

P:\mp3\Various Artists\_NOW\Now That's What I Call the 90's\2014\V\Various Artists\Now That’s What I Call the 90s (disc 1)

Any ideas for a generally working solution to keep the current location but change the directory name?

I don’t really see a solution without telling Picard what you consider “the current directory”. In that case that means setting P:\mp3\ as the target directory.

If you know your files are always in a two level deep hierarchy you could maybe use ..\.. as the target directory. I have never tried that so don’t know if it works.

I was hoping that “.” is the current directory, but this seems not to work (as mentioned in the documentation:

If you use the directory “,” they will be removed relative to their current location. If they are already in some sort of folder structure, this will probably not do what you want!

Using copy & paste I see that the documentation speaks about a comma, not a dot. Is this a typo?

The comma is a typo. And yes, a dot is the current directory of the file you are saving. Hence my suggestion of using “…/…” for moving two levels up in the file hierarchy.

I don’t know how Picard should know what you consider the “current directory” of a path like P:\mp3\Various Artists\_NOW\Now That's What I Call the 90's\2014 without you telling it. Is it P:? Or P:\mp3? Or P:\mp3\Various Artists ? Or P:\mp3\Various Artists\\_NOW?

Another suggestion to solve your problem: Why can’t you set P:\mp3 as the parent folder? Maybe you have some other folders beside P:\mp3, such as P:\flac ? If so one option would be to go a level up and make the decision whether to use the mp3 or flac folder part of the naming script.

[quote=“outsidecontext, post:4, topic:285990”]I don’t know how Picard should know what you consider the “current directory”[/quote]Because Picard already read this directory from this place? :wink:

Because I have a several external discs for different first letters of the artist. ABBA goes to M:\mp3\A\ABBA, Coldplay goes to N:\mp3\C\COLDPLAY and so on.

Why shoud it not be possible for Picard to read a directory and rename this directory itself to something else?

@InvisibleMan78 Wondering if you found an answer for this. I am having the same question

@inceptionbg Meanwhile, I fill my directories with another, external tool.
I found additional requirements (like a check, if the same release already exists in the target directory, but the existing files have a lower bitrate) which must be met.