Rename and organize all MP3s by Artist and Song Title

First time trying Picard. I want to use it to rename all my MP3s as Artist Name - Song Title, add cover art if that’s possible, and organize all of them into folders by Artist Name.

Is that possible? I see the renaming field but the code in there makes no sense to me. I found the cover art settings so I think I’m ok there probably. Just not sure what to use for the renaming code in the settings, and if/how to make it organize them.

Absolutely.

Since you’re just getting started with Picard, I suggest that you might want to have a look at the Picard User Guide. This will help guide you through the configuration.

Based on my understanding of your request, a starting point for the file naming script would be:

%artist%/%artist% - %title%

For an example of some of the things that you can do with file naming scripts, you can see the one that I use (posted on GitHub). I’ve tried to include comments throughout the code to help explain what is happening. Others have developed much more extensive scripts to meet their personal naming preferences.

If you have any questions, please just ask. Finally, welcome to the world of MusicBrainz Picard.

2 Likes