"Remove my info for privacy"

Anyone want to give this guy an official response:
https://musicbrainz.org/user/misterangles/edits/open

2 Likes

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to not want private info displayed and according to the gdpr I think we have to follow these wishes.
I don’t know if removing the discogs link is necessary though.

PS: Apparently I was wrong and only birthday & -month need to be removed:

1 Like

I commented, as per @rob’s claim on the other post.

1 Like

Would be interesting to hear WHY he thinks this is a ‘Violation of privacy’.

BTW: Is his legal name David Angles or David Nugent?

Calling himself David Angles makes the Tri Angles name seem “legit” but is probably just a stage name.
That’s the beauty of being editable, we can correct it if we find out.

**Based on the edit summaries on MB and Discogs, his name is Nugent.

Is he even a British citizen?

I think editors need a protocol to follow in such circumstances.
And probably the best protocol would be to put the person requesting data removal in touch with someone higher up who will perform the necessaries. Either that point them to a webpage that does the same thing.

In short: Response beyond referral to proper MB persons is not in the toolkit of an editor.

4 Likes

This was my response earlier today. It did that very thing - instructed the user to find the correct way:

Please understand that you are in the ‘edit’ section. We are simply users who get the chance to vote on the correctness/incorrectness of edits. We have no interest in the legal/management issues of the site. So allow me to repeat myself, "If you think that law pertains to you and this situation, then you need to submit a formal request with all the proper documentation attached at the proper place for such requests.
Simply editing something and claiming to be the subject isn’t the way to go about it."

7 Likes

I think you did the right thing.
I’m thinking of Manafort’s employee who let the FBI inspect a storage unit prior to getting a warrant.
Manafort is claiming that the inspection was illegal even though the employee had the key and was the person on the lease.
While I don’t like Manafort’s chances on this issue, I do wonder how similar MB editors are, as front line, first contact people to Manafort’s employee. Does what we write come to be viewed as MusicBrainz’s response to someone seeking action under GDPR?
If so then we’ll probably need official directions and recorded training around this.
As in, “Tick this box if you (1)agree to refer all people making edits or seeking action under GDPR to this webpage and (2) understand that failure to do so may have legal consequences.”

2 Likes

Good points, I am not sure an editor would be held accountable for an add done in good faith, and if MB responded to a request to remove and did such then I think all is ok. Maybe there needs to be a “very visible” button on the home page that says “GDPR & personal information removal requests”.

There already is a very visible button for this. On the homepage it says “contact us”

People shouldn’t expect to just walk around willy-nilly and have sites cater to their every whim. I don’t like the fact that I had stupid hair and wore neon in the 80s, and you have picture evidence of it. Delete me from your site. If someone wants to have their information removed, let them put forth an effort. They certainly had no problem making an effort putting their information out there while trying to get famous.
I will gladly “forget” people, but not on a whim.

1 Like

And specific to David Nugent of Nashville…
This:
SMILETRON now goes by “Tri Angles.” He has created a hand-picked archive for his SMILETRON pseudonym which can be found here.
does not seem like someone wants to be forgotten. It seems more like he is trying to control the narrative.

Imagine a world where Kim Kardashian can only be spoken about using words that she approves of on sites that she approves of.

4 Likes

Seems like he don’t knows all laws. IIRC it’s forbiden to provide incorrect information for a domain registration ^^ anyway, that was off topic :wink:

I appreciate the sentiment that people do not want data they found in public sources and proceeded to enter into MusicBrainz to get removed, but at the same time please also consider that artists, just like fellow editors, are human beings too. If you’re not the artist, you don’t know their motives for whatever they may say or do—the best you can do is guess.

I have already reached out to this artist and let them know the proper channel to go through if they wish for MetaBrainz to consider any data removal (or other legal) requests they may have. There is no reason to continue flaming or trolling the artist here.

«Be polite. Remember that there’s a real person on the receiving end of any communication. Treat people as you’d wish to be treated yourself.» and «Don’t get into flame wars, and try to remain as neutral as possible. Do not attack someone personally because you don’t agree with them.» from our Code of Conduct also apply when talking about others who are not actively taking part of the conversation.

7 Likes

I have submitted this thru the appropriate channels. Thanks for doxxing me, and allowing it to continue for years; it has allowed much crisis in my personal and professional life that would otherwise have been wholly avoidable.

I would still like my personal information removed. I believe this is a legal, valid, and reasonable request.

I will wait for official response from MetaBrainz support.