Release title for soundtrack

Hi everyone,

I just received the Jason Takes Manhattan soundtrack from La-La Land Records in my mail today.
When tagging my music I always use the MusicBrainz style guidelines… but this time they got me a little confused.

Do you put the ‘Music From the Motion Picture’ part between brackets, or do you use a colon to seperate them?

• Friday the 13th Part VIII – Jason Takes Manhattan (Music From the Motion Picture)
  • Friday the 13th Part VIII – Jason Takes Manhattan: Music From the Motion Picture

And then there’s this other thing that really confuses me. The guideline states the following:

Series numbering
When a release or track is part of a series, separate the volume or part name from the title with a comma. If the title already ends with an alternative punctuation mark, such as a question mark (?) or an exclamation point (!), use that mark instead of the comma.

Does that mean that I put a comma after the Friday the 13th title?

• Friday the 13th, Part VIII – Jason Takes Manhattan
3 Likes

Colon as it is a subtitle. Example: Release group “Pulp Fiction: Music From the Motion Picture” by Various Artists - MusicBrainz

As to the comma - I would stick to how the film is titled. Others like adding commas. So you’ll get a few variations on that answer.

1 Like

Definitely colon if you’re separating anything out any subtitles. In this case I think it could actually be:
Friday the 13th: Part VIII - Jason Takes Manhattan.
Just by looking at how the cover is styled:

But everyone’s going to have a different take so I wouldn’t stress too much. They can edit it later and discuss it in the notes.

p.s. the spine of the release can be a good place to copy the name from, often it’s less stylised there
p.p.s. I just saw that this is already in the DB, lots of scans too, great
p.p.p.s. are these new Jason movies any good?

1 Like

It should be Friday the 13th, Part VIII – Jason Takes Manhattan

It’s a series, so a comma is used instead of colon as Part VIII isn’t really a subtitle, but a series designation, IMO. And since the cover art has “–” that should stay. Subtitle guidelines state to use a colon if no other punctuation exist. It does on this.

3 Likes

Tigerman speaks with confidence, so I have updated the VII and VIII releases to follow his example:

Forgot to click the ‘make all edit votable’ button for VIII sorry, let me know if there’s any concern re the auto edit :grimacing:

Actually, the subtitle part is “Music From the Motion Picture”, which is common among soundtracks. I didn’t notice that earlier, so “Friday the 13th, Part VIII – Jason Takes Manhattan: Music From the Motion Picture”

1 Like