Release announcement: ListenBrainz MPD submission client

Hi,

I’d like to announce a small tool I’ve built this weekend after getting interested in ListenBrainz: A submission client for MPD.

I made this after taking a look at the current client list on listenbrainz.org and seeing that none for MPD exist that support transmitting MBIDs.

You can find the code here: elomatreb/listenbrainz-mpd: ListenBrainz submission client for MPD written in Rust. - listenbrainz-mpd - Codeberg.org

Feel free to open issues if necessary.

11 Likes

Nice work! I actually also made something in rust for submitting from MPD, based on https://github.com/SkyLeite/klausies, but with some modifications for submitting MBIDs. I hadn’t uploaded my changes anywhere yet, though

3 Likes

I would say “I love you” but like Patrick Star I’d get the door slammed on my face and possibly get banned.

Thank you so much. I’ve been waiting for ages for someone to step up and do it.

Thank you for this! I just learned about ListenBrainz and this looks to be only way I can feed it.

A word of warning for anyone planning to install it on Ubuntu - I know nothing about Rust, cargo etc. and just started following install instructions on my little de-chromed chrome box music player “appliance”. The process was much more involved than I had expected and I ended up filling my disk with all the dependencies it pulled in! In hindsight, I should have built on my main system and copied the binary over.

2 Likes

Hi, glad you find this useful. Yes, building something like this from source on underpowered devices like that can be problematic, but chances are that building on your main system and copying it over would not have been straightforward either (assuming you don’t have an ARM CPU on your main system). Note however that you can delete all the dependencies it downloaded once it is done with the build process, you just need the single-file binary.

Ideally I could provide prebuilt binaries, but this is a bit complicated since codeberg.org does not have a built-in system for running jobs like that.

2 Likes

assuming you don’t have an ARM CPU on your main system

No, but my “appliance” is an Intel Celeron :slight_smile:

I’ve just had to rebuild it as accidentally deleted trying to reclaim some space. Only missing dep. on my main machine was libsqlite3-dev and the build was much quicker.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Ideally I could provide prebuilt binaries, but this is a bit complicated since codeberg.org does not have a built-in system for running jobs like that.

It looks like Codeberg has a CI system that you could request access to by filing an issue in this repo. By all appearances, this should fit Codeberg’s requirements for access.

1 Like