Regarding Style guidelines for Japanese Releases

Hi, I am here yet again with another weeb question.
I’ve been adding lots of releases using the original Japanese script for Japanese albums from anime and videogames, as well as some audio dramas and radio CDs.
My question is, what to do when I find a release that is already on MB database but uses Latin script for the release title? If I understood the Japanese style guidelines the Japanese script should take priority on these cases.
So should I just edit the existing release or add another to the release group?
Let’s just use this one as an example. It even has the tracklist using Japanese script so it’s not like the whole release is a transliteration, in which case I’d just add a new release to the group.
Correct title according to the cover should be ぴたテン SOUNDTRACK「幸せ音楽会」Vol.2

1 Like

The original Japanese title as shown on the front cover is what should be used.
The mistake you’re making with these releases is you’re copying the more prominent title from VGMdb, who default to English. You should always look for the title that most closely resembles what’s on the cover. (They usually list such in smaller, darker text below the English title.)

4 Likes

Or change the preference “Title / Name Language” to original :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I default to the title in Japanese script when I’m adding a release, that’s why I was pointing out that according to the cover the title should be ぴたテン SOUNDTRACK「幸せ音楽会」Vol.2, instead of what the original user used. In this case then I’ll edit both the release and release groups titles.
But then, I have another question about VGMDB titles, this same release has two titles in japanese.
ぴたテン SOUNDTRACK「幸せ音楽会」Vol.2 &
TVアニメーション『ぴたテン』サウンドトラック「幸せ音楽会」Vol.2
I don’t find any kind of consensus among releases regarding the phrase TVアニメーション or any of it’s equivalents in MB at all, some people leave it as is and some just delete it.
What would be the correct choice?

1 Like

You should include “TVアニメーション” if the release actually uses that on its spine and official discography. That kind of phrase is usually intentional. Consider the difference between these two releases:

TVアニメ「進撃の巨人」オリジナルサウンドトラック

『進撃の巨人』オリジナル・サウンドトラック

3 Likes

Thanks! That helped a lot.

What is the non-TVアニメーション?
A Cinema film?

Or an OVA.