Recording session as new entity in MB

Searching in MB documentation, I found neither “collection of recordings”, nor “series of recordings”. What is it? Why turn a session in a collection or in a series (or in a lot)?

1 Like

I think Event is good solution over creating new Entity.

I don’t like those solutions at all, it was just to illustrate that we already have plenty of ways, but here is how to create a recording series (shared stuff like the rest of MB) and create a recording collection (personal, not really MB content, rather like a list of favourites).

1 Like

So, is this an event or not? I want to be clear here.
When a musician starts playing, in the studio or in public, it is always an event. But I mean the material fixation of this event - for example, on a magnetic tape. In the same way as we call a concert not only this event, but also records or tapes with the recording of this concert. Thus, the proposed concept of a recording session as entity is the whole set of recordings made during this event (studio session or concert).
If the concert or session took place, but the recording of this event did not take place or the tape was lost, then the event is, and its material fixation is not.
There is a real example of recording session as a set of available recordings:

1955-09-13 - Cosimo J & M Recording Studio, 525 Gov. Nicholls St., New Orleans, LA – Little Richard [vocal, piano on some takes], Justin Adams [guitar], Frank Fields [bass], Earl Palmer [drums], Lee Allen [tenor sax], Alvin “Red” Tyler [baritone sax], Huey Smith [piano on some takes], unknown male chorus*.

LONESOME AND BLUE (take 3)*
LONESOME AND BLUE (false start 4, take 7)*
LONESOME AND BLUE (probably take 5 – master)*
WONDERIN’ (version 1) (take 8 – master)*
WONDERIN’ (version 1) (take 9)*
ALL NIGHT LONG (version 2) (take 3)
ALL NIGHT LONG (version 2) (takes 6 & 7 – composite master)
ALL NIGHT LONG (version 2) (take 10)
KANSAS CITY (version 1) (take 1)
KANSAS CITY (version 1) (take 2)

So, in most cases a complete set of recordings of a session is not available. That’s why this entity can’t be called “event”. But available recordings from this session can be grouped in the entity “recording session”.

I don’t see why we couldn’t call the recording session an event. It is an event.
And available recordings are just… recordings.
And unavailable recordings are… not in MB, as we don’t need to link them to anything by the way.

Update

And sessions would be rare, it’s rather rare, compared to the number of release recordings, to know from which session exactly it is from.
For instance SWEET HEAD (take 4) comes from one of the late 1971 album sessions, but which?
If we knew, we could rightly create an event for it.
Waiting for a specific entity is no need and seems overkill to me.

2 Likes

Unavailable recordings could be recorded (no pun intended) using the setlist of the Event entity. That could also provide an order of Event→Recordings without changing anything on the current/existing Event–Recording relationships.

4 Likes

You convinced me. The entity “Event” is also fit for recording session.
It’s a pity no one is voting for this issue.
Thank you all.

2 Likes