Recording dates vs work relationship dates

I am (slowly) trying to master the Classical Style Guidelines (CSG) - @reosarevok has been a big help over the year. I am getting confused by the recording/work dates. Take this release as an example:

On the recordings, all the relationships show 1989-01-17 to 1989-01-27. So, I assume that this is when it was recorded.

On the work relationships, we have “(recording of) (1989-01-17 – 1989-01-27)”

This seems redundant (or at least a recording property) - is that really when this recording was made or is it some date tied to the work itself? I wouldn’t want to make it look like Mozart wrote something in the 21st century!

The date between a work and its recordings is the recording date.
I don’t think that it looks ambiguous, from the various pages where we can see this piece of information… but maybe I am too much accustomed with MB data. :wink:

1 Like

Great - thanks. It does seem like the recording date, but I was getting nervous seeing the recent date right above work dates in the 1700s on the edit relationships page. When I go to the work, though, you can see the dates of the recordings on the left and it is much clearer.

2 Likes

Do you think it’s confusing on the release page? E.g.

for me shows (credits at bottom):

composer:
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (classical composer) (tracks 2–9)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (classical composer) (1776-07-20) (track 1)
conductor:
Sir Neville Marriner (1984-11) (tracks 1–9)
[…]
recording of:
March in D major, K. 249 “Haffner” (1984-11) (track 1)
Serenade no. 7 for Orchestra in D major, K. 248b/250 “Haffner”: I. Allegro maestoso - Allegro molto (1984-11) (track 2)

I think it’s clear that 1776 concerns the composition. It could be visually clearer that the „(1984-11)“ in the „recording of“ section is meant to be the recording date, not a disambiguation or addition to the work title. If you know MB, you can tell by the colour.

1 Like

Come to think of it, if you have a recording that lasted for two or more years, we would see something like:

conductor:
The Grand Poobah (1987–1989)

Which would look like the lifespan of Mr. Poobah. Hmm.

1 Like

The release pages looks fine - I think it is clear there. I think the “recorded at” and “recording of” separate it nicely. I think what confused me were the work attributes when editing - there are x’s to delete them and I it didn’t make sense to me to remove work attributes on the shared work.

I think The Grand Poobah just needs to work faster - lol. It does happen sometimes, though!

I’ve been thinking what would be a better format. Maybe

conductor:
(1987–1989) The Grand Poobah
oboe:
(1987-12-23) Elephant Man
(1988-08–1988-10) Godfrey Whale
(1989-01-12) Ernest Eldritch

It’s not always that easy! With this and your nature sounds thread I can’t keep my thoughts from wandering to Johann Sebastian Flathead.

1 Like

lmao - I hadn’t thought of that until the last time all my matches went out!

1 Like