MusicBrainz already has a defined list of countries used for release events and labels. However, there are several other official guidelines where place information needs to be included in release titles or disambiguation comments:
- Untitled live bootlegs use its date and location information, in the form “YYYY-MM-DD: Venue, City, State/Province, Country”.
- Broadcast programs use “YYYY-MM-DD: Program Name[ #1234][, “Program Title”][: Location]” with Location as “[Venue, ]City, [State, ]Country”.
- Disambiguation comments for live recordings use: “live, YYYY-MM-DD: Venue, City, State/Province, Country”
- Disambiguation comments for broadcasts use: “broadcast, YYYY-MM-DD: Studio/location [, Additional Info]”
Style/Specific types of releases/Live bootlegs includes some notes on formatting:
- Country names should match their names in the database, except for UK and USA, which should be abbreviated.
- States in the USA and Canada should always be listed (in their abbreviated form). States and provinces elsewhere are optional, and should only be added when they’re necessary to further distinguish cities with identical names.
- When a country is made up of multiple entries, such as “Netherlands, Kingdom of the Netherlands” or “Puerto Rico, United States” only the first part should be used. So “Netherlands” and “Puerto Rico” respectively.
- Some countries have specific start and/or end dates. These countries should only be used when the dates surrounding the release or recording are appropriate.
- United States should be written as “USA”. Each of the states should be written in abbreviated form defined in ISO 3166-2:US, such as CA for California.
- United Kingdom should be written as “UK”.
- States in Canada should use their abbreviated form defined in ISO 3166-2:CA, such as QC for Québec.
- Kingdom of the Netherlands and Somaliland should never be used.
- 2002-05-02: Ahoy, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- 2008-12-07: Rose Garden, Portland, OR, USA
- 2008-12-17, early show: Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- 2012-06-30: Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!: State Theatre, Cleveland, OH, USA
- 2012-06-30: A Prairie Home Companion #1348: Koussevitzky Music Shed, Lenox, MA, USA